Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about Alvarez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I tried two Alvarez basses yesterday, and I must say they were pretty good. They have quilted maple tops on an alder body and a graphite reinforced maple neck. I tried the 5 and 6 string versions. I guess the only complaint I have about them is that they are both passive. I've never seen a passive 6 string before, but this one played and sounded just fine for the money (cheaper than a cort curbow 6). Does anyone have any experiences with these basses? BTW, the Cort Curbow 5's and 6's that I tried were very lacking in quality control. The big problem was fret buzz, and the only bass that sounded good had the action really high to compensate. I like the cort curbows, but they need a better setup or design.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Alvarez basses look very nice.

But they have some of the weakest electronics on the market, in the same league with Washburns cheapest stuff.

They would be pretty nice with good electronics.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    A lot of people say MIM Fenders have cheap electronics, yet they still are very popular. I bet the Alvarez is a good deal even after upgrading the pickups.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I haven't played any of the latest models but, every Alvarez bass I have ever played in a music store was junk, IMO.

5. I know a guy with an Alvarez guitar. It looks good, feels good to me as a bassist, and I liked how it sounded. Unfortunately it was impossible to keep in tune. It literally would come out of tune after 30 seconds or so of moderate strumming. I think it was caused by a poor tremelo bridge setup.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    It seems like no one knows about Alvarez's new basses. The only reviews I've seen were for the Villain basses, which seem to be pretty cheap. The ones I tried were the AEB6 and AEB5. They are made in Korea and have about the same construction as an Ibanez.

7. They're probably made in the Cort factory, same as Ibanez, Tobias, Spector, Cort Curbow,etc, etc.