What about an Ampeg SVT Classic paired with something other than an Ampeg 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lavaman67, Mar 3, 2006.

1. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I have an Ampeg SVT Classic and the standard matching Ampeg 810. I play a 2002 American Deluxe Precision with the 18volt electronics. I play 95% finger-style original roots rock and alt-country. I have almost always thought the 810 sounded muddy especially the E, F and F#. I have always toyed with the idea of replacing the 810 with another cab, preferably smaller without losing output. I've recently thought about an Eden D410 XLT. Has anyone tried this or another higher fidelity cab with an SVT? I am looking for that chest level punch with the clarity on the low end and I don't want to make a mistaken purchase. Is it a matter of getting rid of the SVT too if I want more punch and clarity? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Do a T/B search on the bergantino nv-610. Then hurry-up and find one, before there all gone.
  3. Bergantino NV610........it's exactly what you're describing!
  4. +1....Best 8X10 Killer I have ever seen! LOVE mine!

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on the you know what.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Berg NV610 all the way!!! :bassist:
  7. Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    The NV610 is the s**t for tube amps! Exactly what you're looking for, like a vintage Ampeg with more bottom and top. You won't be disappointed if you find one. :)

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ditto ditto ditto, this thread should just be closed as of now...the end...

PS: All hail the NV!...
  9. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well my svt-cl has been in the shop for many months (long story) but paired with an epifani 410UL it sounded just sensational. I'm using an eden wt800B at present and liking it more and more as time goes on, but the epi/classic combo is the best tone I've ever had. Punchy, tight, clear and clean up to quite high levels. Haven't tried an eden cab so I can't really comment on that.

There's lots of posts floating around about the svt-cl being muddy or dirty but my experience is that the cab makes a huge difference (previous cab was an ampeg 410hlf). From what you posted I think an epifani would take you in the right direction, probably the eden too.

As to whether it will go loud enough for you and stay clean is hard to say as everyone seems to have a different definition of loud. But be aware that a more modern, hifi type cabinet will make it more obvious when your svt is being overdriven. I imagine an svt-cl into a 610ul would be pretty loud. It's only 6 inches shorter than an 8x10 but its less than half the weight and rated as 5db per watt louder, a very significant increase.
  10. nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I use my SVT-CL with a SVT610HLF.. Sounds very good, just not great and is definately loud, but a totally different cab than the SVT810E, which should be the perfect match for the SVT-CL (sealed etc). I also used the Avatar B212 with the SVT-CL, sound very, very punchy and has some serious booty, but it's not very loud, one way or another...:meh:

Also I would like to check out the SVT412HE 4x12"cab from ampeg, should be a very good match to the SVT-CL. I think it's a sealed enclosure, but I'm still not sure...:confused: