Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about Aria...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigRed, Feb 2, 2005.

1. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I've got a mid '70s Aria Fretless (Fender Copy). From what I understand, this is the bass that Fender sued Aria over copying the J bass design. I can understand why...this thing looks EXACTLY like a Fender. Decal it with "Fender" and replace the bridge cover with the one that has an "F" on it, and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference...at least from a few feet away.

This guitar plays pretty good, but the stock pickups really blew. I replaced the neck pickup with a Dimarzio Jazz...sounds WAY better.

Anyway, to the point! Are Aria basses from that era ('70s) very good? What is the general concensus on these basses?

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Some of those older late 70's and early 80's MIJ basses kicked some serious ass. They were quality beyond their cheap name. Most that I have owned and played were as good, if not better than their counter parts from "Higher End" bass makers. Vantage, Aria, Washburn, Kramer, and a whole host of others were heavey durable and well crafted. I like the way they looked too :D

3. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Any way I can date mine?

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    The new Arias kick a@@ too.
    I have an Aria IGB 50/5 that took a bit to get used to, but now that I have, it really is an excellent bass. One more for Korean basses!

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That I really do not know. Do you have pic's? I am sure someone around here can tell you. What about a model number? I am sure we could at least narrow it down some for you :hyper:

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    It's really difficult to try to pinpoint dates on these basses. I bought a Goya MIJ fenderesque copy a few months ago with the intention of a rehab, found it on the 'Bay, just like your Aria, it is an incredible copy. Only problem was these horrible soapbar pups :bawl: and that the truss rod adjustment was at the headstock, not the neck butt.

I searched everywhere, only to find out that the Goya basses could be; 1) Hagstrom, 2) Aria, 3) Teisco, 4) actual Goya, or 5) a MIJ Martin. Serial #'s are random, sometimes non-existent, may be stamped on the neck butt, may be in the body cavity, may not be there at all. Go onto the Hagstrom web site, it's a good place to start searching .....

This Goya is a great bass, plays beautifully ... I should be done with the mods in another month or so.

7. I 've got an Aria Pro... its pretty good overall, for the price anyway, though the stock electronics on it blow like you said...
    if you replace them you'd endup with a pretty cool cheap bass, though IMO, at least the model I have comes nowhere close to my Classic 60s. :smug:

8. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I'll see what I can do for pics soon...I'd love to know some background/history of this bass.

I got mine on the bay about 5-6 years ago. The PO said it was a '70s Fender copy. Those soapbars...they SUCK!!!

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  10. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I had an aria pro in the early nineties that was short scale, I guess 30" . I threw some Barts in there and used it as a piccolo bass. It sounded great.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do not know if it is a dirty word :bag: The Dude Pit :bag: is another place to find some answers :ninja:

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That was in the Matsumoku factory, right?

14. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Yeah, I've been to "that other place". Not as busy as it is here...

15. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Sweet mother of mercy...they had a pic of my bass on that site. Freakin' exact thing...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1970-74 is as close as that site can date it. I'll try to get some numbers and compare. Thanks a bunch.

(by the way, that picture is in 4 parts...it was a b***h to get it to look right)

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Very nice copy. I looked at the J-Bass fretless pic. Is that the one you have? The dude pit has out grown itself and also has to many controls and rules, but it is a nice alternative to TB.

17. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    The fretless J on that website looks like mine, but I've never posted a pic of any of my basses at the 'Pit.

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    By-Tor, excellent reference site, thanks for sharing :hyper:

The bass identified as 1540 J is my exact bass, except mine said Goya on the headstock (the decal is gone, only a faint impression of the image is there). It's amazing how all of those basses from that time period were so intermingled, but this reference site sure helps those of us trying to sort everything out ........

19. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    So the Goyas and the Arias (and some others) are all from the same maker of that era, or all exact Fe**er copies...

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

Actually "Dude" is a very respectable member of talk bass and a great source of info.