what about bee propolis?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dustamaphone, Apr 3, 2002.

1. dustamaphone

Feb 24, 2002
    USA, MN
    A coworker of mine is a bee keeper and he said they used to use bee propolis to preserve early strativarious (spelling?) violins. Its a thick substance honey bees use to plug up holes in there hives and its from tree resins which help preserve woods from microorganisms and decay. I guess it could be thinned with alcohol or somthing. I'm going to be building a bass this summer and I was wondering if anybody has experience with this or has found it to be less effective than other methods of preserving. I'm a rookie on the luthier stuff but it just seemed like it would be a cool way to personalize my experience further. All responses greatly appreciated!
  2. Beleve it or not I sub in a band whos Drummer works in a factory called "Beehive Botanicals" making all sorts of things with Propolis.
    Hes mentioned wanting to use it on a drum set someday,on the drum shells that is.
    I dont know much about it but ill pick his brain on it this wekend(im playing with them on friday) ill get back to you.In the mean time at least you know one person out there actually knows what your talking about!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This is a new one for me.

In Brazil, where I used to live, people use bee Propolis as a cure for colds, etc. We'd pour about five drops into a glass of water and drink it. As a matter of fact, I'm sure I've seen it in health food stores in the US too.

I don't know if the propolis you're referring to has some wood curing additive, but if it's all natural, it's an edible honey by-product.
  4. My Friend, The drummer, Gave me a book today from his work titled "Propolis - The Eternal Natural Healer"
    Anyway there is a section on Propolis Varnishes, History etc, Give me your adress and ill send it to you, or fax it etc.....I can email it to you sunday as well, Hope it'll help
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    in french we say cire d'abeille, bee wax i think.
    Is it the same thing?
    it's still use then.
  6. dustamaphone

Feb 24, 2002
    USA, MN
    hey libkavon, my address is dhauer1@earthlink.net Man, I'd really appreciate the help. Oh and by the way for Yvon, propolis is not the same as beeswax.