Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what about computers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonas_oxide, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I have just recently traded my bass and amp for somebody elses custom bass, the problem now being that i cant hear what it sounds like (at least not amplified) so does anybody know any programs or anything i can use to make my bass playable through my computer?
    Any response is appreciated, ive been aching to play it loudly since i got it
    Thanks
    jonas

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think the recording forum experts will be able to give you a lot of options. when i looked into it there were several interfaces available for recording, which would also make your bass playable thru the pc speakers. there's a ton of hopme recording programs out there. if you're not concerned with getting the best i think something like cakewalk's guitar tracks might be up your alley as its one of their cheaper products and made to be user friendly.

after saying all that, i'm thinking that by the time you bought the interface and the software you coulda bought a cheap used amp. :p

3. All you need is a 1/4" Mono Jack Socket to 3.5mm Stereo adaptor which should cost about $2 from any electronics store. Cable from your bass plus into this little adaptor that plugs into your mic-in on your sound card. And just use your line-in volume on the pc to control volume.

I am hoping you will get enough pre-amp boost from your bass for the line in. If you have powered speakers and an active bass - should be no problem at all. Give it a go.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've tried the adapter route into the pc. IME, it's really hard to get the volume to the point where it doesnt distort the mic input of the pc. YMMV ;)

5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Be careful when plugging a stereo 3.5mm plug cable into your guitar and then into you computer, you can short out one channel in the sound card and that ain't pretty.

Something like a Headphone amplifier, like i use can be used to go into the sound card if it has a stereo output.

For recording, i don't use anything technical, just Windows Sound recorder. If you want to get technical, you can invest money in recording programs like Pro Logic. With these you can also use MIDI function so you can record a keyboard straight into the program. I think also the new Line 6 Variax Bass has a MIDI socket on it!

6. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    don't you need a balanced signal when going direct into your computer (like when you go direct into a mixer)?

so wouldn't it be best to use a DI first before you go into the soundcard (if you don't wanna blow something)?

i'm new to talkbass by the way...hey everyone!!!

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    TBH, i would have thought the headphone output of a headphone amp would be balanced. What i am trying to say is you can't plug a stereo lead which has say a 3.5mm jack on each end into a guitar with an adaptor and then the other end into the computer. This is because your shorting one of the channels out and the soundcards likely to jump up and down in anger at you! ;)

I use a kit i made to go from guitar to computer:

Bass >--Using normal guitar lead--->headphone amp kit>--stereo 3.5mm lead--> PC

Good Luck, any question just reply!

Welcome to TalkBass Btw!

8. If youre "aching to play it loudly" it aint gonna happen that way sorry....like everyone here says be patient and save you're money...there is no alternative for real bass.....beleive me I know what it's like to wait and your computer will just be a frustrating process for you ...,,,and thats MHO.........

9. Phew! I must have been lucky - worked for me - maybe don't take my advice :rolleyes:
    I actually plug into a 4 channel mixer and use the line out from the mixer to the pc. I was quite surprised that the sound out of my little logitech pc speakers are adequate enough to practice with.

10. yeah, i guess my biggest irk with this deal is i only got to hear it amplified when i made the trade. Im not a particularly good player (more of a conga player/rhythm guitar, but bass is by far the most fun), nor do i know what to use for an amp. I used to have an old yorkville bassmaster 400 combo, but that went in the trade. i really just want to hear what it sounds like. i have a cheap ass soundcard (creative soundblaster live value) it has only room for its 4 speakers and a line out. my motherboard however has a mic in and two other jacks right beside that. i cant get it to make any noise at all. dont know what to use. and, I do think you guys are right, i should probably just buy an amp, but dont know where to start. i dont like buying crap when it comes to anything. i dont wanna have to buy a new one when i start playing shows on bass. i guess i should look up some threads in the "amps" forum. thanks for all your advice, truly appreciate the time!