What about Ibanez Ergodyne ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 6, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I was a Rickenbacker 4003 player until yesterday. I had to send it back to my retailer because of a huge neck problem. And for some typically local reasons (France), it seems that any repair or exchange will be hard to do.

Given that I'll probably have to accept the idea that owning a Rick bass is now something from the past for me, I am wondering whether I should consider jumping to modern technology, ie Ergodyne, which seems to be very reliable.

So I am considering replacing my Rick with an Ibanez EDB-600, and I would like to have accurate opinions from experienced players about this bass. Opinions I read from beginners and intermediate players seem to reveal that this bass, though low-priced, challenges with rather high-end basses such as Warwicks. What about this ?

Thanks in advance,
  2. if you love the classic hollow rick sound, play finger and/or pic style, the rick has a very cool sound of it's own!! you will not get that sound from anything else.

but.... if you like to or want to slap, a rick is out of the game, because they "honk" when slapped / plucked. yuck.

the ergodynes do nothing wrong. i repeat, nothing. to hell with what the snobs may say about them.

playability, sound, construction.... all very cool and contemporary.

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks for your reply,

Though I've been playing Ricks for a long time, I am not a Rick "fetishist". What I love the most from the Rick is the neck. About the sound, I guess it is not easy to recognize a Rick in many recordings I've done, cause I do lots of sound treatments on my bass parts. My sounds are lightyears away from Chris Squire's or McCartney's.

Playability and reliability are the most important things to me. I need very low action, and ease to make my fingers run fast on the neck, given that I often play tapping.

Thanks again for your opinion.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I played one in the local music shop the other day, and it was one of the best basses I have played in a while. Only one bad thing however. It was a little on the heavy side, and I dont think it would go well for a long set. Apart from that its a really good bass. But I agree, if your into the Rickenbackers, there is nothing quite like them.
  5. I hate ergodynes, but I am definitely not a snob; i like the Ibanez ATK and BTB series. I cannot tolerate the neck on all other Ibanez basses.

I just feel there are much better basses in the exact same price range than the Ergodyne. MTD Kingston coming to mind, but don't buy one, cause I want them all :D
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't really like the ergodyne basses that much... I have played several of them.. and for what its worth they are ok basses.. I don't absolutely hate them. I can't get passed the look... I know looks aren't everything and alot of people love the look of the ergodyne.. but its not for me.. I wasn't overjoyed about the sound either. it didn't jump out at me. Maybe its the other way around for you. and there is nothing wrong with that. that is why there are alot of bass manufacturing companys and luthiers around so that everyone can pretty much get what they want.

I just think that if it makes you happy, then you should have it
  7. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002

Un autre francais sur TB (PSG :D ) . Bienvenue.

I'll stick to English for argument's sake. I personally like the Ergodyne. But then I agree that nothing will equal the sound of a Ric. That said the Ergodyne is quite a decent bass...in that price range. I think that playability wise, it rivals a lot of the more expensive basses. The trade off is the string spacing which is pretty narrow--like most Ibanez's--and is not adapted to slapping (double thumping is almost out of the question on anything but the G string).

I forgot how much Ibanez's go for in France (the franc has gone down like crazy and I'm lost with the Euro), but if it's anything above $800, I'd go for something better. Otherwise, it's a good no-nonsense bass.

Et si t'es a Paris, il faut visiter Rue Pigalles point de vue selection (le cote music bien sur ;) ).
  8. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I considered buying one as my fretted bass but the tone just is not there for me. I don't mind the looks of it but for the price I guess it is a decent bass. I'm no snob but I'd rather save my money to get a "good sounding" bass. For people on tight budgets, its not bad. It isn't the greatest sounding instrument that is for sure....

[edit] The guy at GC once told me "If you play KORN you'll have to look into that EDB or whatever that model is called. The wacked shaped looking one. That piezo makes that thing click till no tommorow!" yikes...

good luck
  9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Many thanks to everyone
    (et a mon compatriote d'Atlanta :)

Well, except the fact of the typical side of the Rickenbacker, it seems to appear that Ergodyne may be considered as cost-effective basses, but not real pro basses. That's finally the answer I was looking for...

Since I can plan to purchase anything whose value is up to that of My Rick (approx. 1700 EUR = $ 1500), seems clearly the best solution is to choose a bass in that price range.

Thanks again to everybody

PS. Je suis a 800 km de Paris, et tres peu de bons magasins dans ma region...
  10. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    C'est vrai que 800 km ne le vaut peut etre pas.

Does Bass Central ship overseas ?
  11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    800 km are not a problem for purchasing : there are many French retailers who sell by mail order, via Internet. Except the case of rare or non-imported instruments, I do not need to purchase from the USA or any other country.

The problem of the 800 km is for trying an instrument. Guess I'll make the travel to Paris and spend 2 days there to try everything I can try, until I find THE bass I need...
  12. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Real quick I own an edc705 and it does have it's drawbacks but I think the pluses out weight he negative. The bass is a lot lighter than most basses I have ever played and anyone who thinks otherwise, I want to know what you play that's lighter. The main drawback is the small amount of room between strings. It limits you to little or no slapping (which I don't care about anyway), but the action is great and the built in eq is great, I think it is quite tone versatile, but like everybody else says it's up to you and what you like. I do think they are built to play though no questions about it.
  13. You'd better watch out for the smell. Those basses smell like gas stations.
  14. You could probably get a Czech Spector for $1500, or an Musicman, Sterling or Stingray(your choice) new. Or, search around the used market. The Ibanez BTB series are good, cheap too. You've got the right idea to play as many basses as you can though.

My opinion on the Ergodynes:

EDB: The 500 series sounds like ass. The Phat bass boost is crap. The 600 series is ok, but sounds compressed.

EDC: Ditto EDB600.

EDA: Sucks as a fretted. Would kill as a fretless IMO(piezo)
  15. Im using a Ergodyne EDB605 (5 strings) for about 2 years now, it's a very good bass for the price, has good electronics and a very well designed body, very comfortable. You can play hours without feeling the weight of the bass (with a good strap).

Some people here compares the Rick with the 'dynes, well, I think they are different, there's no way to compare basses oriented to different markets. Both basses had their unique sound (better or worse, that a matter of tastes).

For me, a mainly rock/metal/some prog player, the EDB suits better my needs, but definitelly it's not a remplace for the Rick.

16. bigmonster1

Feb 28, 2002
    Windsdor, VA
    I too own an ergodyne.EDB600.its a sweet bass and i got it at a good price, too. about $465 from guitar center (i know the salesperson, so that knocked it down a little too!) but it was tagged at a bout $490 i think, still a great price for this bass. i've had it for almost a year now,and understand the controls pretty good by now.For me, because the bass is naturally a "mid-range" bass (because of the body),i've found that with a little bass boost(30%maybe) the mid at about 70-80&, and a little treble, you get a fat tone,but maybe a little trebly-click if ya play real hard and the strings hit the fretboard when fingered.this is mostly covered up when playin with other instruments. I recommend this bass, but i more highly recommend that you go to the music store, get all the bases you can in your price range, and play em all, to get a feel for what they're all about.i know that i went in lookin at an ibanez SR400, and walked out with the ergodyne, so you gotta explore all your options.