Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about neck DEPTH?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by firstbassman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    OK, there's all this talk about the how the Jazz bass's neck is narrower than a P-bass. But what about the depth of the neck?

This has been a question that's lingered in my mind since I was just a lad (back in the dark ages of the early 80's, when we used to use stone computers to access the Internet)...

Anyway, I was a teenager and couldn't afford whatever it cost, but I tried a Jazz bass that had the deepest, narrowest neck I had ever seen, and have never seen again. It felt like it must have been 3 inches deep. I thought that if THIS was what a Jazz bass felt like, I had to get one someday.

Well, over the years I've never seen such a neck again. All they have now are so-called "C" neck basses, which are really shallow. Nobody seems to know what I'm thinking of - does anybody have any clue that could shed some light?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If I recall correctly, it's called a D neck.

3. Check out the new MIA Deluxe Jazz. Mine is deeper than my MIA P-Bass's neck.