1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What about Preamps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by octa colombo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. octa colombo

octa colombo

Dec 22, 2014
    Argentina
    So, I'm planning to bring to life an old Squier jaguar PJ active bass I found. I've got everything planned but the preamp... I don't know what kind of preamp I should get, the bass has 4 knobs, 1 for the p pup volume, another one for the jazz pup volume, a boost and a master tone (that's just my guess). so, can any of you guys help me pick the right preamp?

2. You haven't specified any preferences. What are you looking for in a preamp?

3. octa colombo

octa colombo

Dec 22, 2014
    Argentina
    well, that's the thing, I've always used passive bases, no active preamps, no boosts, nothing. what I can tell you is that I'm getting the Seymour Duncan Spb-1 and Sjb-1 for this bass, so maybe sth to compliment that sound, i play a bit of everything, mostly rock, metal and funk, sometimes jazz so versatility is key here.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. It sounds like you don't need a preamp at all, then.

If you don't have a clear picture of what you need, then you probably won't get good results from whatever you wind up with.

5. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    delano x pure - keep your passive sound with a bit more oomph going to the amp...

octa colombo likes this.