What about that funky bass on the FIXX's One Thing Leads to Another?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Nov 2, 2002.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    now there's a song that's been lost in the '80s for a while...

Anybody know what kind of bass, rig, and effects (if any) this guy used on the recording? I wasn't watching MTV back in the day cause I was too busy gigging and hanging out.

the first couple of verses are pretty funky.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    The guy I always saw played a Steinberger XL...was his name Dan Brown??

The Fixx was a *smoking* band, BTW.... I thought they were just "ok" until I saw them live. Jamie West-Oram was one of the most underrated guitar players of the '80s.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yes, Dan K. Brown. IIRC, the album credits listed him playing a Steinberger and a Wal fretless 5. Don't know about effects or rig, though.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can't say for certain about his sound, but I have the recording and I know other bassists who get that sound using MIDI gear.

Not that he wasn't a good bassist, but the 80's music was big on processed sounds.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, that sorta stuff used to really bother me. I don't really use any FX(especially back then).
    Processors aren't my cup of tea, either.
    At one time, I would lose sleep over it, too.
    Now I'm like screw it...a s long as I can get the point across.
    If you want it to sound just like the record, stay home & listen to the cd.

...another '80s Top-40 tune, similiar in both vibe & approach(IMO), is Naked Eyes' "Promises, Promises".
    I could do a credible job on The Fixx tune...the Naked Eyes thing was another story. I was damn embarrased everytime we played it.

And Howard Jones' "Things Will Only Get Better"(or whatever it was called) was another one in that mold.

FWIW, I do like Dan Brown.
  6. Sweet Johnny

Sweet Johnny

Mar 26, 2012
    The man behind the bassline for "One Thing Leads to Another" and "Saved By Zero", was actually Alfie Agius. He left the band before the album was released. The other players mentioned were def good but not on the same level as Agius. Apparently, he was difficult to get along with, and didn't last long in the band.
  7. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The Fixx had some great bass lines.

Naked Eyes 'Promises, Promises' - very subtle and tricky bass line!

I've seen HoJo twice - once when he played everything and the second time with a full on band.
  8. mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Hate to admit it but yeah it's cool
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

...which is odd, because his stuff practically defined the pop guitar sounds of that decade.
  10. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not putting him down when I say this, but...
    to me, those sounds and his approach on rhythm guitar were established much more by Andy Summers and Nile Rodgers. (IMO)
  11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Nile Rogers I'll agree; I almost added his name to my previous post. Andy Summers certainly had similar aspects of that tone in his sound, but the parts he played were so much less...eh, funky for lack of a better word. Jamie West-Oram & Nile Rogers were "rhythm guitarists" in every sense of the word, guys whose parts locked into the groove like reciprocal teeth on gears...whereas Andy Summers was more of a "texturalist" who sprayed amorphous globs of sound into the cracks & crannies left by the bass & drums.
  12. jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    First cover band I was ever in did that song. Very fun. As I recall I used the J pickup on my PJ-Bass with a pick and chorus box. It wasn't quite as "techy" and high-endy as the recording but it got close enough.

For a long time after that song came out I thought it was a keyboard though.