Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about the Lakland Skyline 55-01?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 10, 2003.

1. :bassist: I have a Carvin LB70P that I want to trade for a comparable 5-string. A guy responded who owns a Lakland Skyline 55-01 that he bought direct from Lakland. It has the same preamp as their USA made models (which is an upgrade from what I understand is an already excellent Bartolini preamp), and he's interested is trading. What has anyone heard or does anyone know about this particular bass?:bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    May i ask why you want to trade your Carvin?

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had a 55-01 that I sold to buy a MIA Fender P Deluxe five, and now wish I'd kept the Lakland.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I would do that trade in a split second if I were you. Laklands are wonderful basses, and the upgraded preamp makes it even better.

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    you want the lakland. give it no second thought. you want the lakland.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    55-01 is a great bass and the USA Bart preamp makes it even better. I had a 55-01 for a while before I went back to 4's. I gotta say that I had no complaints about it other than I never got used to 5 strings.

7. I'd do that trade. 55-01's are great basses. people always say that the 55-02's are better because they have the same pickup config as the USA ones but I have found that the 55-01's have a cool sound of their own. it does not feel like a cheaper version. go for it. and the build quality in all the ones I have played has been excellent!

8. The Lakland is almost certainly worth more, even if you bought all the extra expensive features Carvin offers; Laklands just fetch more on the used market. Based on that alone, you've got the better end of the deal, so unless you're really attached to the Carvin, go for it. I'd have a tough time trading my LB70 cuz I f'in love it, but for a 55-01 I think even I might cave...then again, it's up to you ;)

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Carvin and a Lakland 55-01, and I would definately choose the Lakland.

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a 55-01 with the upgraded preamp, and I think it sounds great... and I have a 55-94 to compare it to! I think I would trade the Cavin for the 55-01...

P@

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with everybody else. My wife has a 55-01 Deluxe with the stock preamp, and the tone is better than any of the stock Carvins I have played. With the upgraded preamp, the 55-01 would kill! When I have the money, I am planning on replacing the preamp.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I played a stock 55-01 a thought the sound was nice, but nothing too special. The 55-02 on the other hand, really rocked! I don't know f the difference was the pre-amp or the pickups, but even if it was a totally stock 55-01, I would still make that trade.

Just make sure that the person who you are making the trade with knows there are no "take-backs"
    He will want the lakland back, I guarantee it.

13. You guys rock!! :bassist: I haven't had an opportunity to play the Lakland at a store yet, but will on Wednesday. I have heard nothing but positive praise for the Lakland, and am 99.9% sold on the trade. This Carvin is a really nice rig though, so he is getting a great deal as well (in case he's reading these messages ;).) If it were a 5-string I would keep it (but then I wouldn't be looking to trade for a 5-string would I? :) )