Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what about the mids?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 23, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i noticed in all samples form sansam, bass exiter and similar divices that their aimed for the "hig end"/active/no-mids sound.

i own a sansamp, and though is great for THAT sound... it completely takes away the mids.

is there any "magic box" that enhances the sound in a superior way, but those mid/low-mids remain there?

im talking about using a fender jazz, using only the bridge PUP and rolling the tone control off.... THAT sound.

(im not asking for a device that nails that sound, but a device in which you give that sound and it enhence it)

is the bass exiter like this? or is it like the sansamp?

thanks for any input guys!

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Try the Para Driver.

I've done recordings (using the XLR out) of my settings as well as some "presets" (even "translated" some from the BDDI manual)

EDIT: Just so ya know, I roll of the tone on my bass and only use the P-style neck PU on my settings. On the sample ones I leave the tone full on...

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    To get more mids from the sansamp, just cut the bass and treble. I run with the bass and treble at say 11:00 to just bring out a bit of mids since I think the sansamp scoops the mids a bit. But then my setup is mid heavy anyway so I don't have to do much.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Ironic, that there is a box referred to as the "magic box" by its producers, the Yamaha NE-1.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

Thanks for the samples, i want to hear that sansamp through a jazz bass with the bridge pup only though! Ill see if the local distributors of tech 21 have one in stock and ill try it.

Whats the difference between the BDDI and the Paradriver?
    only the semi-parametric mid control? why does the blend knob seems smaller and why is it near the mid control? are the 2 units completely differents units?

Ill try that one tommorrow! thanks!

Does anyone has any experience with it? is it JUST and good (or exelent) parametric EQ? or does it shape your whole tone for good?

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Demeter makes the MB-2B Midboost/Fat Control Pedal

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The only difs are:
    1) they added a knob to shift the freq center of "prescence"
    2) they re-named "prescence" to "mid"
    3) they moved all the knobs around, and made blend a smaller one so they could fit it on the unit w/o it looking too different from the BDDI...

Oh I'll record some bridge pos jazz PU samples.

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Both. I love my NE-1. be aware that the Q on this puppy is so wide, it has far reaching effects on the entire tone. (Mine is always set on narrow Q). It is a one band EQ but that is all you need.

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

Oh! thanks thanks thanks!

Be sure to play hard (not TOO hard) with your finguer rested on the bridge pup, and only using that pup and tone in 0.

Thanks again!

Heres one question: anybody know at what frequencys does the controls of the bddi and the paradriver star working?

10. No idea. I suggest that you mail Tech 21; they've got a very friendly, fast and helpful tech support service.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Here you go: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2753213&postcount=99

Sorry, but the tone is on full and the finger ones are played near the neck. I recorded them before reading that post, and I figured I'd keep as much "constant" between the J and P recordings. I hope that you'll still get some idea of what it would sound like...
    Para Driver:
    Bass: +/-12dB @ 80Hz (affects all below equaly)
    Treble: +/-12dB @ 3.2KHz (affects all above equaly)
    Mid:+/-16dB @ 170Hz to 3.5KHz

(from the manual)

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hey!
    Thanks a lot for the samples!!!!

ill give them a listen and try to decide what to do....

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    You're welcome :D