Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what about the other Dingwall?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    I have heard some news from the afterburner but thew other one? is anyone have some? gimme some news please

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Z and Z2 (mm style, or doouble single coil pups..) Yeah I heard they don't cut great in a mix, but I'd love to try one.

3. Piedro-
    Do a search in this forum for Dingwall. There a thread from about 3 weeks back, entitled Dingwalls new model.
    it has all the news, details and inside scoop.
    No one has the new bass yet -believe me i know. its mine

--Don't cut thru the mix? I find just the opposite. My Dingwalls have No problem cutting thru. I've had nothing but compliments about how the bass sounds

cheers
    frank

4. Hmmm... I've had no problems cutting with any of the three Dingwalls I've owned/own.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    what Frank and Geoff said, Dingwall's cut like a knife I think. Allthough I must admit Ive never played a Z or Z2.

6. dingwallfanatic

dingwallfanatic

Jan 11, 2005
    I have had no problems with my Dingwall Voodoo in the mix live or in the studio. In fact, more often than not, my bass sound is complimented.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have what may be the 3rd or 4th 6 string Bass Sheldon Dingwall made,It's a 6 string Voodo model(a model he no longer offers).I have used this Bass Live and in the Studio and have yet to encounter a problem.it's a very clean and versatile Bass.engineers love it and they can be very very picky.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    No longer offer's Prima's? Where did you hear that Jaquo? They are still on his site (not that that is any idication, his site also says he uses FD-1 Pickups hehe).

Also, I was pretty sure he is still making them, but they are custom only, so you dont find them in shops or online really unless used.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    There's a new Dingwall??? :eek: Anybody that can post a pic? I'm gettin' an Afterburner II one of these days :rolleyes: My question is, are they good for slap? I heard he uses mandolin fretwire, that cant be good for slap can it???

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    There are actually 2 new ones, one is a prototype and not in production, the other is a more vintage type one thats being built for Frank (FCM3). The prototype is a hollowbodied AB, dubed the ABO (I assume for organic) and uses a wooden bridge, and RMZ Piezo I believe. Thats my next gas hehe.

The one being built for Frank will become its own model Im told, and should be a shorter scale (35-32 or something), and have a more fenderish style and sound.

As for slap, they are great, but some find they have less room with the pickup placement than other basses. It takes a bit to get used too. I personally slap right over the pickup, so its never gotten in my way. As for Mandolin frets, they don't really affect the slap tone IMO. They are more comfortable to slide on, they sound clear and precise with supposedly a woodier tone, but I suppose thats subjective. But they dont really make too much difference in slapping.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Dingwalls are SLAP-O-LISHUS SLAP-TASTIC SLAP-GASMIC ..well you get the point..I can not imaging what the Z's are like, considering they're concieved and crafted with slapping in mind...

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I was more thinking of good slap TONE, I got my technique down. Any music out there with a slapper playing a Dingwall? I know Leland Sklar uses 'em but I dont think he incorporates slap style at all in his music, mabey he has but I havent heard anything.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There are some soundbites of the FD pups on the Dingwall site.
    I don't remember, but I think there was some slapping on there..They are a very accurate representation, but remember, NO EQ, the samples are completely flat, like direct into the board with the bass set set flat, kind of flat.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Hey Geoff! Do you know approx how many Voodoo/Zebra basses were produced before the workshop burned down? I was always curious..on a side note:does Sheldon let you hang out at the shop?If I lived up there I'd be camped out 24/7, allthough the GAS level, looking at nude Dingwalls all time would be overwelming!!

18. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    The 6-string that Jauqo has would be what we call a Z1 now. Much has changed since then, so we would not be able to duplicate that bass.

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    PS Sheldon, you should put a link to those sound clips up on the website someplace. I have it cause I know its there, but Im sure many people checking your site would love to have that pointed at someplace :)

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Here's rhe Voodo 6.Sheldon what # 6 string is this one after you started offering 6 string Basses?