1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What about the vocals?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cicatrice, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cicatrice

cicatrice

Jun 11, 2005
    Hey all,

I've been sort of floating around this part of the forums for a little while and wanted to see if I could get some opinions on the vocal takes (and generally the songs themselves) in a few songs we recently finished rough mixes on. It's for a 5 piece rock band fronted by violin and sax.

www.myspace.com/thetrolleys

The Songs in Question (Top Two in Playlist):
    "When Morning Came"
    "Jiminezi Hop"

Unfortunately the recording of the vocals ended up being pretty pressed for time (we were using a university studio to self-record), so I'm not sure if a) we got amazing takes to begin with, and b) if there's aspects of phrasing or performance that the singer/songwriter is missing since those two songs aren't really in a style he's used to singing. (At the bottom of the playlist there's a song called "Oh Louise" which seems to be the stuff he's most used to performing).

Do you all think we should try to re-record vocals, and if so, is there anything you would recommend that he phrase/perform differently?

Any criticism on the mixes or instrumentation is welcome, as well!

Thanks,
    John

2. cicatrice

cicatrice

Jun 11, 2005
    Anyone?

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd hesitate to comment because the myspace compression algorhythm can do strange things to unmastered mixes at times but, having said that...

The vocal in WMC is burried to the point where critiqe would be unfair. JH is the same although to a lessor degree.

I listen to the arrangements and my ears tell me you guys are an instrumental band that has a vocalist as an afterthought.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a instrument centered band at all but the reality is, if you're gonna have a singer, the world is gonna focus on the vocal.

Musicians listen to music. Civillians listen to singers. IMHO

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021