What about these speakers (PA)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Anyone have any experience with Legion Sound speakers? www.SteelSound.com has them CHEAP, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I am mainly looking for a vocal/guitar/bass drum reenforcement system. Since they are so inexpensive, I was thinking of single 15's with a big sub maybe. Thanks for your help!
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Aren't Legion made by Maddison?

I've never heard the speakers in action, but there's something about that company that rubs me the wrong way. I use their website for the occasional giggle because the blurbs are a great example of trainee marketing departments who have drunk too much red cordial.

There's gotta be some other cheap PA companies around.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey bro.....they are no good for bass. I personally played on them. I tried a 410, an 810, and a 115. They sounded like some good quality car stereo boxes. I suppose they would be serviceable as PA back-up, but I would not run a bass amp through them. I found a guy on eBay selling them a few months ago. He claimed to be some official Northwest distributor, and was about two hours from me. I had little to no money at the time, and I was really interested. He told me the "I never let guys come check them out.....blah, blah...but you can" line of crap, so I took him up on it. You can do worse than their stuff, but IMHO, it is a waste of money. Save up a few more $$, and buy decent/good gear.

"The excitement of a good, inexpensive deal quickly fades as the reality of inferior equipment repeatedly slaps you in the face."

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You know, I've always felt the same about this. I'd be willing to give their stuff a shot, but I am very skeptical. I read on an ebay auction description once for legion bass cabs: "I usually use MADISON cabs, and these stand their ground very well!!!!" Like madison is an authority on bass gear. I dunno, I am inclined to think it is probably all junk. You get what you pay for, and I don't forsee this being an exception to the rule.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's true. At least with Nady, we know what we're getting. I just need some good single 15 cabs and maybe one 18" sub. That'd be a perfect PA for me. I might give their stuff a try. I have heard some of brand pa stuff before, like in my old band, and it was quite useable. I really just need a vocal PA with a bit of backup on the kick. So they might do allright. If I get them, I'll post a review.

Another thought:
    If I get these and completely destroy the speakers, it's easy to get good quality replacements cheap. That might be another option. Still would probably be cheaper than going with big name cabs.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've bought two cabinets made by Legion Sound; a LS 2x10 and X-Audio 2x10. The LS(8-ohm) cost $109, the X-Audio $89(4-ohm). The LS has a rattle, not loud, but its there. I'm using it as a guitar amp setup and it working well,(guitars rattle anyhoo:) ).The X-Audio sounds better, worked well as a ext. cab of the Workingman's 12. Now using it in home practice rig with a Sunn Coliseum head. They don't sound BAD(!), and I would recommend them if money is a problem. However, you do get what you pay for. Having said that, I am planning buy couple of small PA/DJ speakers from them ($109/pair), http://www.steelsound.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=8
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    tmo33...if you're not in a big hurry, lay low and wait for some nice Sonics to come up on eBay. They're made in Cudahy, Wisconsin which is just south of Milwaukee. Sonic seems to have few dealers and are at best a regional brand.

On the plus side, they seem to be made well, use quality components (present versions of the T15 have cast frame Eminence woofers...previous versions could be had with EVMs) and they sound good. I have two pairs of T15s (one with EVMs one with Eminence) and bought each pair for less that I'd care to admit in writing.

IIRC, there is a pair up now in Green Bay...they've been up two or three times already and are down to $99 opening bid for the pair. Just checked ebay...here's the auction...

Judging by the nameplate, these are some older Sonics. You can see the current line at their website at www.sonicspeaker.com or something like that.
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hmmm. Sound interesting. Looks like the closest deal to is Pro-mix. I'll check it out....

(after Pro-Mix site visit) That's a little more than I'm willing to pay for a non-bass item...