Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about this Ampeg head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulbrother, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Hi all,

For the last three years I have played through my SWR Silverado Special (350 watts, 2 x 12") and I must say I need some more ......eehhhmmmmmm.......POWER IMHO the SWR sound is nice but is doesn't "carry" enough on stage.

Since my gigs are mostly small I need a big sound but not a big rig. So I thought about an article I read a few years ago. Someone stated he had a big sound at low volumes because he used a high power amp (about 1000 watts) running his speakercabinet at quite a low level. That gave him a fat sound.

I checked out some options and the new Ampeg head appeals to me the most. What do you think of it? Would it be any competition against the Aguilar 750 head?

Thanks, Werner.

2. I suspect that the problem with your Silverado has more to do with a lack of speakers rather than power. 2x12 are only going to move so much air no matter how much power you throw at them. I think you'd be surprised how much louder 350 watts can be just by adding a good 4x10 box.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I think you should try adding a cab but the SVT5-Pro sounds very good to my ears. I was at the Warped Tour and Thursday's bassist used one through an SVT810 and it sounded damn good. I was right in front so for the most part I think what I heard was coming from his rig.