Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dennison, Mar 10, 2004.

1. I am very close to purchasing my first upright bass. I went to my local Bass shop (robertson and sons) and I played a fully carved roma bass that was $3000 included fiberglass bow and case. What do you all think. It was new, fully set up and he said he would put on some ddario helicore strings free of charge. Is this a good deal? he also said that if i traded it in I would get full value of what I paid towards a new instrument and I know the shop is reputable (nationally renound). Thanks for your help. :D

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I don't know a thing about Roma basses, and really the name doesn't mean that much anyway. Do you have a teacher? Have you taken the bass home and played it for a few days? Have you let your teacher play and/or hear the bass?

Robertson's obviously has a very good reputation, ask them (if you haven't) if you can take the bass home for a week or so. Try to get it in the hands of a professional player.

That's my $0.02.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Robertson's has excellent customer service, and that trade-in policy is no joke. Take the bass out for a week or two and get it in the hands of your teacher/better bassists.

4. well I bought the bass today. heavy duty padded case fiberglass bow and rosin. He played it for me and it sounded excellent. I have been plunking away but boy oh boy is learning a new instrument is tough. I have been playing guitar for almost ten years. I appreciate the posts and the emails some of you sent me. Now in another month I will find a teacher. As soon as I pay off some of the credit card. :bawl: im looking at the bass and i just can't believe it. Mine all mine mwah ha ha ha. The bass is very boomy with only a very slight wolf tone. They had three in stock and I felt that the one I bought sounded the best and so did the salesman (who is an excellent player).

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Dennison, first mucho congrats on the new bass. I am glad you are thrilled. But I have to ask the question, Why did you ask us what we think? I actually ask that somewhat tongue in cheek, because I too suffer from chronic impulsiveness.

No offense to the fine person you dealt with at Robertson's, but if I go to the local Yugo dealer, the sales person might show me three Yugo's that he thinks are just the greatest cars ever. Doesn't necessarily mean that is reality, but it is to the Yugo salesman.

The reason people like Nick Lloyd et al make the recommendation to have the bass in the hands of a professional, away from the shop, is because they have many unbiased points of reference. The nice thing for you, is that Robertson's is an excellent dealer, and I certainly don't think you got the bass equivalent of Yugo. My point, if you are going to invest $$$$ in an instrument, and then ask the very good question that you did, why not take the time to have it properly evaluated?

Now that I have completed my rant, once again congratulations Dennison. Welcome to the darkside. Please, don't take this personally, because I have been there, and done that. I just wish I had people like Nick making suggestions when I bought my first bass.

6. Before I purchased thebass I asked the opinion of a friend's brother who graduated from UNT with his degree in bass performance. I asked him in general about Roma and though h didn't some to the store and play it he said that he felt that roma made some good basses. So i went and played them and heard that one was better then the other three. If I was buying the bass out of the back of a van or at a flea market then I may not trust the salesmen but I have bought a violin from robertson's before and I know that they have an excellent reputation. If ever I decided the bass was a stinker then I could trade it in for full value. But im not mad or have i taken it personally.

7. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Yeah Dennison, thanks for enduring and tolerating my caffeine-induced rant. You obviously had two really good things going for you. First was Robertson's. Second was a great trade-in.

You just kicked-started a general hot-spot for me. Which happens to be,..... take advantage of the great resources available on this board.

Once again congratulations and thanks for the tolerance.