Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about this fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, May 30, 2003.

1. I've never seen a fender jazz bass like this before, and I'm told it is a 1997 model made in USA. It has lace sensor pickups, what looks to be like a schaller bridge, more heavy duty tunning keys, a 4-way selector switch and 2 stacked knobs. It feels like a jazz neck but longer, is it a 35" scale length I'm not quite sure? It is all original. I've read that fender did make some not to be particularily desirable basses in the 80's to 90's, and was wondering if this is one with nicer components to hide the shoddy workmanship or what? How would it compare in quality to a new one?

Thanks all you :bassist:

2. That bass you're speaking of would be a Jazz Bass Plus. I own one myself, very cool bass. the best part is that they're affordable and great for the price. I would suggest getting one if you like the Jazz Bass feel and sound.

3. So the craftsmanship is good?
    What would you say a used one is worth?
    What does that selector switch do?
    Is it a 35 inch scale length or a 34 inch?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think Fender makes a 35" scale 5 string bass.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I did a good amount of research on the Plus series before picking one up, and all accounts I've heard have the build quality as very good. The selector pot toggles between passive, active, active with a mid boost (level controlled by a trimpot in the control cavity) and off. Plus and Plus V's are 34" scale, and tend to run between $450 and $550 with an ash-body going for $50 - $100 more (the upcharge when new was $100). They were produced from 1989-'94, you'll be able to tell from the serial # - E for eighties, N for nineties plus the first digit for the year. A serial number starting with N2 would be a 1992 model