1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What about this for a headless setup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheTechnical, Nov 20, 2006.

1. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    Current specs for bass design:

32" scale
    Headless
    Neck thru
    Maple neck, Ash body
    Tone chambering
    2 J-pups
    Active/passive electronics

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-ALIEN-HONDO-HEADLESS-BASS-ALUMINUM-NECK-ERLEWINE_W0QQitemZ200045823627QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This gave me the idea. I've seen it done before but for some reason forgot about it. If you can get past the fact it's a Hondo, I think this might be the hardware setup I'm looking for. When I compare it with a $300 ABM headless system with my $500ish budget, my choice was obvious. I could get a decent Badass or Schaller bridge for about $100 and a set of compact tuners for about $50 and replicate this with quality parts. Has anyone ever done a headless build using something similar to this?

It looks like the piece by the nut will have to be replicated by myself as I haven't really seen anything like it aside from a headless tuning package.

How short would I be able to make the strings between the bridge and the tuning pegs? I'm looking to make it possibly an inch shorter. Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for using a tuning setup similar to this one?

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, those were copied from the Kramer Duke bass but only the Kramers had the aluminum necks. I used to own one of those, it was actually my first headless.

3. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I too had been thinking about using this idea but wanted to be sure it could sit in most stands and fit in a normal gigbag without any issues.....t

4. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  5. TheTechnical

TheTechnical

Sep 4, 2006
    How short would I be able to cut down the string length between the tuners and the bridge? I don't want it to be as long as the ones in the pictures.

Just some really prelim stuff I'm looking at to get an idea as to how to change my setup from a headless tuning system to one of these more improvised methods of headless tuning...

Roughly an inch from the back of the bridge to the tuning peg.

bassbridgeshortstringlength1121.jpg

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    ...and about this one???

[​IMG]

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Contact ETS and see what they'll do a proper headless assembly for. Bet it's less than $300.
    Four of the Status Graphite tuners and headless headlpiece will be less than 300 too.