1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What about this Ibanez??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rolleharris, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I am in the mood of replacing my 5-string Yamaha BB605 and im thinking about the Ibanez SR 505. I have tried it and it palys and fells real nice, anyone here that can give me thier opinion on the SR 505??

[​IMG]

SPEC
    neck type 5pc SR5 Wenge/Bubinga neck
    body Mahogany body
    fret Medium frets
    bridge Accu-Cast B25 bridge (16.5mm string spacing)
    neck pu Bartolini® MK1 neck pu
    bridge pu Bartolini® MK1 bridge pu
    preamp Bartolini® MK1 3-band eq

2. what_the_hell

what_the_hell

Nov 29, 2006
    England
    I don't go for 5 strings myself, but that is one nice looking bass.

3. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    That is a nice nice Ibanez 5er. You also might want to consider the BTBs.

4. I have the six string version of this bass and it smokes!! To be honest with you, I'd rather have the five (I don't use the C string much).

The build quality on mine is top notch, the wenge/bubinga neck feels great, the bartolini soapbars sound very good and can get really grindy/growly when you bump the mids (something I like) though you can get a ton of other tones from them with the preamp, and the mahogany body feels smooth and solid...a very nice bass!! I can't say enough good things about the SR50x's.

5. I'm tempted to buy an SR506. I've played one and it does feel really comfortable, despite a narrow string spacing.

Sorry if i'm partially hijacking this thread by asking this, but do any 6 string players know if it's a good purchase for £500? Currently it's the only 6er i've had the oportunity to try.

Back to the point, despite what little experience i've had with other basses (besides the two i play and Squier p i've tried), i'd say it is a good purchase, felt comfortable and sounded good when i played the 6 string version.

6. They are very comfortable and the string spacing is, indeed, very narrow (the neck reminds me of a neck from a Geddy Lee Jazz if it had six strings and was made of wenge :)

If you play with a pick, this bass is excellent. I primarily play with my fingers and I'm cool with the spacing (and I don't have small hands). The access to the upper frets is really nice on the SR505 and 506...the neck joint is very well done. The bridge is very solid and is fast loading.

These basses are a bargain in the US for between $500-600. Though £500 (~ $975 US) seems a bit pricey to me, but I know things are a lot more expensive where you are and these are great basses for the money.

7. Great bass. You are definatly getting alot of bass for the money. I am seriously gass'n for an sr506 at the moment.

8. Cheers. The £500 range is the sort of price you'd pay here for a MIM Precicion or Jazz or Fender deluxe bass - or a second hand MIA

Once i can afford it i'd definately consider buying it, altough by that time the one in my local guitar shop may be gone. I supose i might, at that stage, take the train up to London for a day. then i would be spoilt for choice.

9. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    definately go get one!

I just got back from GC to see what they had.

I a/b'd everything and decided that my sr505 beats everything they had.

and btw, I didnt know Musicmans have REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY cheap knobs.... bummer...

10. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Im about three weeks away from pulling the trigger on an SR505, providing something else doesnt come up.

With the limited range we have available in NZ this was by far the most comfortable to play and although the tonal range was not as extensive as some of the higher end warwicks i played, the tones it did have seem suited to what im after.

I played this up against a $3K streamer and IMO the ibby beat it hands down at $1500

Im not about to spend twice the money on a name when the playability of the 505 is leaps ahead. Fast neck and light.

Im not totally sure about the tightness of the B string yet, but that may have just been the one I played. I want to try a couple of them before buying.

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Never played a 505, but I have the 500 (4 string version), and it plays and sounds like buttah! From what I hear, the 5 and 6 string versions are the same way.

12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You might also consider a BTB555. Check the review in my signature thread.

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I played the six string version of that bass a few weeks ago and I though it was a great bass for the price. Good tone, played like butter and felt very comfortable.

14. Id look at an Ibanez BTB406QM, i personally think they are much nicer than the SRs, but the SR series has never done much for me, a friend of mine had an SR505 and i really didnt like the sound, feel or look, but thats a personal thing really.

I got my BTB 406 for £260 :) hell of a deal on a bass which was in practically mint condition!

15. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Seriously, check out the BTB555. Here are a few pics of mine:

Picture016.
    Picture017.
    Picture024.

A more complex tone than the SR505 and a better preamp, IMHO.

16. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    The big thing is the BTB and SR don't feel alike at all

if he said he loves the feel of an SR I don't think he'll be too fond of the BTB

17. +1

18. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    IMO the BTB is dog ugly.

Looks do have to come into it - as much as Id like them not to.

19. bassguitarman21

bassguitarman21

Apr 11, 2006
    i have the 4 string version and really like it, but it seems a little harder to take care of than a bass with a normal finish...

20. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Does anybody have care tips for a finish like the SR's? My basses have always been lacquered.