Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about this?(moderaters please read)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by theJello, May 16, 2001.

1. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I noticed there is a tab archive.
    Why not have a an archive of actual trancribed basslines?
    Im sure alot of players here have trancribed alot of stuff and put it to paper.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    transcriptions would require permission and/or royalities, since they are copyrighted material.

tabs usually also require such permissions, i was under the impression that that was why olga got shut down. i guess the net is so much bigger today than it was then that there are bigger fish to fry than tab sites.

but transcription sites are fewer, and would probably be more prone to get in trouble.

i'd be all for it, but sounds like it would be a bit of a pain in the a$$.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  4. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah, I suppose your right.
    But, if I sit down and trancribe a bass line and put it to paper, it really just my interpertation of the line and doubtful it would be exact. Can they really do anything legal? But I guess it could be asking for trouble.

I dont know if you have heard of it. There is a site called tobias collection of bass trancriptions(no relation to the bass) It has a ton of really good transcriptions from alot of players. I would be suprised if they had any rights to the stuff.

Anyways, thanks

5. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's a really cool web site! Thanks for telling us about it. The thing I wonder is, however, is how they get away with sheet music transcriptions of copyrighted work. I'm not complaining. It is all to our advantage to have such sheet music available for free. I'm just wondering how long they can do that before they hear from some musician's lawyer.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Or...maybe players could post what tunes they have transcribed and scanned, and could be contacted directly.