Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about this setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm looking to buy a new setup and I'm pretty set on an Aguilar DB 680. But I've been thinking about a power amp and cabs. So I came up with this setup and I'm curious to what all of you would think about it?

Aguilar DB 680 preamp
    QSC PLX 3402 power amp
    Accugroove El Whappo
    Accugroove El Whappo Grande

I would run the power amp at 8 ohms pushing 700 watts into the cabs. My recent setup was a WT800 going into an ampeg PRO cab. It was @ 4 ohms and pushing 400 watts.
    How much sound would I push with the new setup and how efficient would it be? Also would the Grande sound good or would it just rumble? Any comments are appreciated :)

2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    This set up should work just fine & would be efficient for almost any gig. The Grande is in fact all about the rumble, but on the other hand it’s not woofy or floppy.

Mark
    AccuGroove

3. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    But it wouldnt make my sound all muddy and just nothing but undefined low frequencies? Because thats what i dont want... undefined sound.

4. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    We developed the Whappo Grande for the players that were discouraged when they played their low F# through other cabs on the market. At the same time we dialed in a sweet spot for the B string. It will sound undefined compared to a full range cabinet, but that’s because it’s a sub woofer. Compared to other subs it will not sound undefined at all, but clear & tight.

Although it's really for 5+ string players we do have guys that use them with 4 strings. The bass player for the Gypsy Kings uses a Whappo Grande & El Whappo & he plays a Jazz 4 string. Is it over kill for that situation, yes. Does it sound amazing, yes.

Personally I think that "most" players thinking they need two cabinets would be better off getting two El Whappos. Either way, it's a win/win situation.

Mark
    AccuGroove

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am very happy with the sound of a 680/728 into an El Whappo or Whappo, Jr. These cabs do great with tube amps. They also sound great with my Crest CA9's. I own a Gordo sub, and I can attest to the fact that it is not woofy or floppy, and I doubt that the Whappo Grande would be any different. In fact, I would expect the Grande to surpass the Gordo in every regard.

If you have never heard an El Whappo, you might want to give one a whirl before you commit to the idea of needing a sub to go with it!

Tom.