1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What about this video?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RedRyder21, Nov 30, 2006.

1. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

Oct 25, 2006
  2. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Some people like to do that, I think like Paul McCartney, or maybe Sting. It's just a different way of hitting the string, kinda like a pick. That is really a terrible video, and you and I are in a fight now because of it....just kidding.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Notice that it's the same guy playing all three instruments.

I'll bet that he's not firstly a bassist. That's how a lot of guitarist play a bass when they pick one up.

Joe

4. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks for the info... I have just been watching other bass players while I try and find what works best for me!:hyper: :bassist: :D

5. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    LOL! Dude you are so right about that! It is almost comical to me.

6. I've noticed a lot of non-bassists in general do that, or try to (this is hard to explain) put the top edge of the body in that space between the thumb and index finger, so their thumb is on the backside of the body and their other fingers are trying really hard to reach all the strings on the front side. :confused:

7. zymeth

zymeth

Dec 10, 2006
    aberdeen nj
    once u get the thumb add the middle and index with it. opens up new possibilities. add the ring to if u want... billy idols the man lol.

8. Its also possible to mute the strings with your palm to get a quick, muted staccato sound, which would force you to pluck with your thumb. Some players do that when playing reggae (hence Sting).

9. Mordecai___

Mordecai___

Dec 19, 2006
    ^ Often times I use a technique that I figured out where I use my pinky and stretch it out to the bridge to partially palm mute it. This sounds really great if you're playing some Beatles tunes or something, and you still want to pluck with your fingers.

Although, I dont think I've ever seen anyone else but me use this technique, but I'm positive I'm not the first.

10. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I play with my thumb sometimes. Just another addition to the tonal palette, and yes, it lets you finger mute. But if you start this way, you're kind of stuck if you want to a quick fill, my thumb isn't dexterous enough to do that and I'd have to switch over if I wanted to play faster.