1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what about those smalls jazz club bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by gems07111, Dec 6, 2006.

1. you must include ari roland, neal caine and neal miner in this category. all of these guys have something to offer to jazz.

2. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    If you're into that hardcore gut sound (Chambers, early Ray Brown, early Red Mitchell), it can't get any better than Neal Miner. Within that defined style, he's the most impressive cat in NYC. Absolutely! He deserves wider recognition, for sure. Get his CD "The real Neal" if you find it for sale. A-m-a-z-i-n-g pure bop vocabulary, just like them folks used to play.

-MP

3. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I was a regular at Smalls when I lived in NY back in 2001, and Ari always amazed me. He would take an arco solo on some Parker head at some blazing tempo and not loose an ouce of energy or swing. Definitely An inspiration for me picking up the bass

4. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I saw Ari at Small's in early November when I was in NYC on business. He blew me away with the arco solos. Motivated me pick up the the bow again when I got home. :hyper:

5. have you heard neal's new album for smalls records 'the evening sound'?it's definitely worth checking out. as a matter of fact, check out ari roland's new cd and neal caine's cd, all on smalls records- a record label that definitely respects the compositions and talent of bass players.

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    eMusic has some of the Smalls catalog, here.

Thanks for the reference, I hadn't heard of any of the players you mentioned - I'll be checking this stuff out.

Andy

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've got a review of Neal's record that I'll be forwarding to post soon.

Look in the FEATURES section for an interview I did with Neal a few years back...

8. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I just received "the real Neal" in the post yesterday and its a tremendous cd, i love his tone and his playing, thanks for the suggestion Marco, amazing cd indeed, sooo inspiring.

Nuno