Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What about your bass(es) do you dislike?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brilliant Fool, Jan 3, 2004.

1. I've seen 12930132-million threads where people praise their new basses and such, and I thought this would be an interesting twist.

Personally, I really don't like that I the action on my warwick can't go any lower, which I would prefer it too.

I also hate setting intonation in general. :spit:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only thing that I don't like about my basses is that the fact that my four stringers don't have five strings.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

4. the thing i dislike about my favorite bass (a yamaha RBX765A) is that the neck is rotting... :bawl:

theres a small chip in the finish on the neck. one night i left the window of my van open and it rained on my gig bag which i didn't realize at the time, and for a few days, this damp gig bag let water slowly soak into the neck. it's now starting to turn a wierd greenish colour. but the neck hasn't started warping yet, but it's probably just a matter of time.

Tom

5. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Hmm. i don't like wood of witch my bass is made - agathis (Ibanez SR 305DX)... and cheap electronics... and cheap bridge..
    Otherwise playability is ok!!
    Soon will upgrade to EMG electronics... that will kick ass :D

Thats all!

6. :rolleyes:

Lol.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My fodera needs some attention, a new nut, and the bridge has some issues, but that doesn't really detract from the bass much at all.

but I'd LIKE to get it fixed up.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, WR, you have pics of that Fernandes of yours? I've seen it in your profile, but never seen any pictures of it.

My basses?

I don't like my Spector's bridge, what with the independant saddles with no intonation screws or individual channels. Hard to intonate and set the action. However, it is ROCK solid when you get it done and lock it down.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    lets see
    Hohner: The G string is a little weak. Slap tone isnt what id like it to be.

Essex: Pickups are a little too weak but have a nice tone.

Godin: Dunno, hasnt arrived yet. Hopefuly nothing! :p

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Good topic.

The only thing I don't like about my bass is the fact that it almost impossible to keep it clean. Glossy and black is not a good combo for keeping fingerprints off.

:bawl:

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I need to properly solder together my Gibson's wiring again so it stops cutting out.

12. fender mim fretless jazz--BUZZ!! well, that and not enough volume
    essex--neck really feels undense (ok, fine, whats the opposite of dense??)

problem with both--thin sounding, either too bassy or too thin

13. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    hmm my carlo robelli 4 stringer( lol please dont laugh) the jacks wire keep coming off ive had to sodder it twice in two week maybe because of the sodder job but hopefully these new ones hold heh...otherwise i hate that sound i get when i start playing hard *clackity clak clack* goes the strings on the frets lol

14. Essex Jazz: fret buzz (only in one area strangely enough), the bridge ain't too good and a series-parallel switch would be nice. buzz feiten tuning system would be very cool too.

15. :eek: I hate that!

I painstakingly clean my bass every time I change the strings and after 15 minutes of playing it's all.... gross again.

Oh, and about the complaint I mentioned earlier pertaining to my bass's action: it's no longer an issue. I had my friend who works at guitar center fix it up and now it plays like butta.

But I have to... set...the...intonation... again! :mad:

16. I hate that my Thumb bass makes me need a chiropractor! :meh:

Just hooked up with a Streamer Pro-M5, perhaps that'll be better on my spine :D

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I hate that the neck on my washburn is way too thin and narrow for my hands. Playing below the 4th fret causes my hands to lock up. :mad:

18. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    This is kinda lame, but I hate that the shade of the headstock overlay on my SR490 is way lighter than the body.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    P-bass:
    Eleven pounds, and I have to redo the wiring. Neck feels good but is too soft, bends easy but slips in the neck pocket. And the saddle on the G-string never stays in place.

Stingray:
    One trick pony, but it does that one trick well.

Soundgear:
    Neck to narrow, pickups weak, neck weak.

20. I don't like the fact that my bass is HEAVY. It's heavier than my friends Glass guitar, I've stripped the bolts of my straplocks numerous times. Oh why cruel fate! why must ovankgol and buninga be so heavy!