1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What action do you prefer ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gjooro, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Sky high

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. High

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Medium

38 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Low

58 vote(s)
    46.4%
  5. Ultra low

18 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    How high action do you prefer?
    I voted for ultra low. I like it low to the level where it sometimes buzzes....

2. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I voted high. But just high enough so there is no buzzing. I like a clean sound :bassist:

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3/32 of an inch from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the strings. I think that qualifies as "medium".

4. I'd say that is what I like but I'd call that a medium action.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Low action. Not ultra-low. Just high enough so the instrument plays very easily, and fret buzz is negligible when using a consistent light touch.

MM

6. +1 if it's set-up right and you have a light touch you won't get the buzz. But if you're a digger, you need higher action.

7. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I've just adjusted action, its about 1.5mm from 12th fret to the bottom of the string. Before that it was 1mm.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    As low as I can possibly get it. I play with a light touch, so I'd rather play effortlessly with my left hand, too.

9. Just changed my strings, and I've never really taken the time to figure out my action. I like low action for my left hand, but the truth is, I play pretty hard with my right hand. 4/32 of an inch above the 12th fret on my E string, with just a little buzz all around. So...I said medium, but I'm on the high side of medium, I guess.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If you've just changed your strings, take into account that at first they are a bit higher than they will actually be since it takes some time for them to settle in the saddles.

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I let the bass dictate. Every bass is unique and has a sweet spot action-wise where it sounds best. I try to find that spot and adapt my playing to it rather than spend a bunch of time fighting where it feels good vs. where it sounds best.

12. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I like mine very high. My first bass had ridiculously high action and thats what I got used to. I'm a digger, and if my action isn't sky high I don't like my tone and I don't like to play.

I can fit my finger in the 12th fret between the fretboard and string. I use fender bridges but with much longer saddle screws.

13. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    Ultra low, as low as they can go without buzzing

14. I set my basses up to factory specs. 5/64" seems like the norm for me

15. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    It all depends on the neck, and the fingerboard. If the neck is stable, and the frets are dressed properly, you should be able to go nice and low, with no noise. No matter what strings are on it, rounds or flats, if the board and frets are done right, low action is the way it should be, with just a tad of relief. And you should be able to play all notes with very little effort. And noise free, even if you play a little hard. If that can't be achieved, then there's a problem somewhere. Bottom line..... I feel like a good low setup, is the way it's supposed to be. :bassist:

16. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I voted "medium"...like was mentioned above...just high enough to eliminate the buzz...

17. I like low action and high-tension strings, like Fender 9050 M flats or D'Addario Chrome mediums.

18. My vote was low. Buzz is avoideable with some effort... I'm lazy and my hands get tired when I set my action higher.

19. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I like mine low, but not so low that it buzzes like hell when I dig in.

20. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    You know what I hate the most?
    When I go to music store and try a bass, action on 90% of basses in store is really high, sometimes sky high..:mad: