1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what advantages are there with Neutrik over 1/4"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cirk, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, I realize this has probably been discussed to death in other threads, but I can't find them. Can someone tell me why I should invest in Neutrik speaker cables? Besides the fact that they lock in place, of course. What I'm getting at is whether they conduct signal more efficiently. Thanks for the help.

2. They will carry a higher current safely.

3. Speakons have a MUCH larger contact area than 1/4". 1/4" are only rated for 2 amp service due to the small contact area. Speakons do a better job of self-cleaning in use and do not short before make like 1/4".

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They lock in place, they have basically become the standard, and they can handle much more power than a standard 1/4" connector. Most bass amps won't get to that point, so using 1/4"is just fine.

Just an FYI, Neutrik is a brand that makes all kinds of connectors. What you're referring to are Speak-On connectors.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    In adddition to all the points made above, the fact that the contact area for a 1/4 cable is roughly the same dimension as fingernail thickness.

Lonnybass

6. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    1/4" plugs can short circuit the tip to the sleeve for a moment while being plugged or unplugged and also if they are accidentally pulled halfway out.

7. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the help, folks. Looks like it's time to invest in a few cables.

8. Just for info the current capability of wire on a short run at 2 amps (the rating of a 1/4") would be about 26 awg wire. Makes that 12 awg wire into your 1/4" plug sound kind of silly?
    Speakons are average 30 amps (30 to 50 amps @50% audio duty).

9. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What kind of amperage is seen at the output of an amp? Please give some examples based on output levels. The amp in question in my case is a Carvin BX500.

10. Can't say for sure, but I saw a tech run a wall clock off of the output of my Sunn 2000.

11. sclift

sclift

Oct 31, 2012
    Alternatively, amps = sqrt(watts / ohms).
    500 W into 4 ohms is 11.2 amps.

12. From Wikipedia:
    USES: Loudspeaker outputs, especially on low-end equipment. On professional loudspeakers, Speakon connectors carry higher current, mate with greater contact area, lock in place and do not short out the amplifier upon insertion or disconnection. However, some professional loudspeakers carry both Speakon and TRS connectors for compatibility. Heavy-duty 1⁄4 in loudspeaker jacks are rated at 15 A maximum which limits them to applications involving less than 1,800 watts. 1⁄4 in loudspeaker jacks commonly are not rigged to lock the plug in place and will short out the amplifier's output circuitry if connected or disconnected when the amplifier is live.

13. Assume a 4 ohm load and 500 watt output, cab would receive ~44.7 volts and at 50% duty cycle ~ 5.5 amps.

14. Often wrong Wikipedia strikes again? NO 1/4" phone jack contact point is capable of 15 amps. The actual jack and/or plug can but not the point of contact. That is why "in the old days" we would use AC twist-locks on PA Cabs as 1/4" would continually burn up.

15. We would use banana posts in our "old days"... :)

16. Bananas are too easy to pull out of FOH speakers and required the gaffer to not be so stoned he could tell red from black ;) :eek: :D