1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What advice would you offer for preparing and taking the GRE's for grad school ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 18, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What advice would you offer for preparing and taking the GRE's for grad school ? Thanks ! :)

2. Definitely buy the study guide with the practice tests. It will help a lot. There isn't a lot you can do to study outside of that. The book will get you used to answering the types of questions that are on those tests. I took mine like 10 years ago, but my brother-in-law just took his, and I gave him the same advice, and he said it was extremely helpful.

3. MAJOR METAL

Thanks very much , I will check it out in the bookstore. :)

4. Be ready to have your brain feel like it's going to combust after the test. After I took the GRE and GRE subject (Psychology) I felt like a utter and complete moron. I Swear to you that most of those words are not even real, seriously, how are you supposed to figure out the definition of a word that doesn't exist.

argh. good luck, it was a bear and then some. i studied and took the practice exams and they helped, but you gotta do some SERIOUS like 7 month long intensive studying to get a real high score.

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Someone, I thnk Kaplan does a prep class, take it.

6. MAJOR METAL

How well do the prep courses prep you ?

7. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Is this the general GRE, or a subject one?

If you felt comfortable with the SAT, you should be fine with the GRE. It's actually easier, I think. Aside from looking over the types of questions on the test, I didn't do any prep, and did reasonably well.

The subject tests can be another matter, though. I took Chemistry, and it was quite an unpleasant experience. The pratice book I used mislead me somewhat, too...that ratio of the different disciplines was quite a bit different on the real test compared to the practice tests (WAY more p-chem on the real test), and the scoring scale was off a bit. I was getting in what amounted to the 70th percentile on the practice tests, but only got ~40th on the real test...with a similar score.

8. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    It's not the GRE or grad school, but I've written a bunch of standardized tests that have courses available... I figure that its basically a matter of how you learn. I bought a book (kaplan and some other brand) and did pretty well on the tests I took; but if hearing things, having regular classes and lectures, and someone to help motivate you seems like it would help then the courses are probably worthwhile...

On the tests I wrote some people taking the courses did fairly beat me, and I beat others. The girl that got the highest scores I've ever even heard of just read a book. It all just comes down to how you think you'll pick up the material fastest.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey mister metal, i'm in the same boat.

i bought the kaplan gre guide, 2007-2008 premium edition. i really like it so far--it's had the best advice for the verbal section i've seen so far.

it has a paper exam in the book, but it also includes a cd with three CAT (computer adaptive test) practice exams, which is the useful stuff. you're aware of the format of the general exam, right? no paper--all computer. if you get the n'th question right, the (n+1)'th question will be harder, and vice versa. (your score will rise or fall accordingly.)

i don't know much about the psych subject GRE. i believe there are some books for that, though i don't know which ones are any good. i took the physics exam, and the only book available for that is utterly useless. i spent two months studying for the subject exam, myself, and did very, very well. (920!)

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I thought it was a good prep course, I changed what I wanted to get my masters in so I ended up taking the GMAT instead. But they gave you a lot of short cuts on how to do things, latin roots for the english portion and what not.

11. I was lucky enough that I was able to choose either the MAT or the GRE for grad school, based on my majors. Without even blinking I chose the MAT.

I did decent. Not great, but well enough for my acceptances. Honestly, it's all that mattered. I don't think I would have done as well if I took the GRE.

Anywho, basically I have nothing constructive here to offer. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

12. Get a good vocab list, Kevin. If you buy a prep book, I'm sure it will include one. My friend loaned me one the night before my GRE's and even though I didn't have enough time to really make use of it, I recognized that a lot of the words from the list were on the test.

I didn't really think the GRE's were all that bad. I think if I had actually done some prep work I could have done very well, but I did okay notwithstanding. I have no experience with the subject tests, though.

13. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    It was my experience that the practice tests were a better use of time than 'cramming'. Take as many as you can.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    correction: the book i'm using is called "GRE Premier Program 2008 Edition" by kaplan.

there's the exam in the book, three CAT exams on cd, and an internet practice exam. there are also TONS of online resources available after you type in your serial number. it's actually a bit overwhelming. six practice quizzes each for verbal and math, amongst other things that i simply don't have the time to use.

15. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for the feedback guys ! :)

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    signed up to take it on the 11th (this saturday).

*gulp*

took my first full length practice exam yesterday with pretty solid results.

now i just have to take a full length exam monday, tuesday, wednesday, and thursday to make sure i'm absolutely ready... :meh:

17. JahNissi

JahNissi

May 24, 2006
    Illinois
    I took the GRE last week and it was a bear. I bought a book and took the practice tests and everything, but it was still pretty bad. The worst for me was the test was long enough that I didn't care very much at the end. You have to fight that. Get a good nights sleep and eat a good breakfast the day of.

18. MAJOR METAL

All the best with it , be sure to let us know how it goes.

19. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I'm signed up for Aug 16. Brushing up on the math, mostly, but also working through some vocab flashcards.

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, it's an endurance test, for sure. starting off with TWO essays doesn't help at all. :(