1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Aguilar cab should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43apples, May 3, 2006.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    So, i might be getting an Aguilar cab instead of the broken EBS cab i returned to the store. But i'm wondering which model i should select, since i'm not sure which speaker config would fit my needs best.

I DO NOT want a "modern", harsh, cold, sterile tone like the tone i got with the EBS. I want a smooth, warm, thick and really bottom heavy bass tone, that doesn't compete with the guitars, but still has the clarity and "growl" that's needed to avoid total mush. I'd rather have a woofy low end than a sharp, clicky high mid... though i really don't want either :).

I believe that i prefer the tone of 15's, but here's some "facts" that other people have told me:

"15's will blow much easier than 10's and 12's"
    "15's won't go as low as 10's or 12's"
    "My 2x10" cab is much louder than my 1x15" cab from the same brand".

Could you tell me if these statements are right or wrong, and at the same time try to guide me towards the right speaker config for my needs?

Thanks,
    -Erlend

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Answer to "fact #1"; Bull sh!t!!!
    Answer to "fact #2"; Double Bull Sh!t!!!
    Answer to "fact #3; Perhaps

If you are comparing one 15 to one 10 or 12 inch, the fifteen will most certainly go lower. Now, if you're talking a 115 can to a 410 cab, then yeah, the 410 will certainly go lower.

Anyway, i'd suggest the Aggie 12 inch cabinets. Either 2 GS 112 cabs, 1 GS 212 cab, or if you're feeling frisky, the 412.

They can be a bit mid shy, but if it's low end you're looking for, you're on the right track. Just turn off the tweeter, and you're in business.

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks! Always nice to get an informative answer! :)

I'm not really a "mid-wanting" guy, i just want a powerful, smooth low end with some low mids, to give my band some serious bottom end. If it's any help, i play in a 80's metal band, and also in a funk\fusion\R n B band.

How do the Aguilar 112 compare to the Aguilar 115?

Thanks again!

-Erlend

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I tell ya, I'm very impressed with my S210. I'm not a modern, hi-fi tone guy and this cab delivers. I turn the horn way down or off. MF is blowing out the S410 for just $379 (I paid almost that much for my S210 6 months ago)!!! I'd think REAL hard about getting one of those!

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Erlend, if you go the 112 route, I highly suggest trying to stack 2 of them(if you have the monetary means. I have the GS212 cabinet, and it'll throw plenty of low end out there for you. However, if you want growl, you may like the 115/210 setup (the S series cabs are going for some crazy low prices right now). Or the 212/210 route. That'll give you nice lows with some cutting/growly mids.

To be fair though, i've never heard the GS115 cabs. Heard great things about 'em though.

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just to add my 2 cents, two GS112s have more low end than the GS212. The GS212 is voiced to have more aggressive sounding mids.

Two GS112s can do many shows and fit many situations.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All three of those 15" speaker statements are wrong. If you like 15s, I'm sure the GS115 is a really nice one. I use an Eden D-115XLT, which is simmilar, and it sounds huge.

But, don't overlook the S410. That is one fat n punchy little cab. I think it really sounds great. Light weight too.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    I personally find my gs115 a bit murky soundy and not very defined.

unless im doing a big gig and wat to move a lot air i dont like using it.

I am about to get rid of it and get an epi rig with an epi ul 502 and an ul410 but that is just me, i do quit like a bit of mid in my signal and i like strong, clear lows rather than the mushy thuddy "oldskool" tone i get out of my aggie rig, but that might be exactly what yo are after.

dont ge tme wrong no way is my tone like hail on a tin roof, i dont have my twweter on full but i do prefer a more modern tone to a motown thump :D

and for good measure her is a pic of my rig. (sorry for the wobbly photo but i was in a bit of a hurry)

Dave

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you insist upon Aguilar, then I suggest you wait for the newer 810s to come out. I love most Aggie cabs, but they seem to me to be alomost the total opposite of what you are looking for. Their cabs are very modern and hi-fi, but apparently the new 810 is supposed to be a warmer sound.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds like you don't like 1x15s.

11. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Fretless Bob:
    Thanks for the reply!

Sorry if i seemed a bit biased away from "modern" tones, it's just that i got a terrible experience buying a EBS NEO-212 cab, which had a ice-picky high mid and no lows at all. I'm not into thuddy tones, i just want something deep and strong. I think i understood what you meant though! :) Thanks!

Plain Old Me:
    Really? As long as i get lots of bottom, and a "flat" frequency response, it doesn't matter if it's hi-fi or not. I just want to avoid the ultra-tight bottom end, "cold" sterile tone, and insane high end that so many "modern" cabs have. An 8x10" would be way too big anyway, but thanks for the tip!

-Erlend

EDIT: As a matter of fact, i enjoy the tone i get out of the two old Peavey PA speakers i'm borrowing since i sent my EBS cab back. The speakers havea 15" and horn, and sounds smooth, warm and growly. Though, they are useless over practice volumes, i don't wanna blow them! :)

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that Aguilar is coming out with a line of sealed cabs. I could be mistaken about that. When I think sealed cab, I think the opposite of a "modern" sound. Might want to look into that.

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    the only reason why 15 cabs are easier to blow than 10 cabs is simply because very few cabinets have a single speaker in them. they usualy come in one or 2 pairs, increasing the power handling. 15's also are easier to break up the cone due to overworking the cone movement. occasionaly, when way overdriven, you get coil rub due to that kind of distortion, which will ultimatly blow the woofer.

As far as a recomendation, you sound like a 15 and 2x10 sorta guy. You get the best of both worlds. just make sure you have a smooth sounding 15. boomy or thuddy your not looking for, your looking for articulate and full. the 10's pick up the mids, but still allow the 15 to shine, instead of covering it up like a 4x10 would.

14. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks for the reccomendation Joel (?)

If i have enough money, i'll go for both a 2x10" and a 1x15" cab then! :)

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    try it first tho. what works for me, might not be the end all be all for you.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
  17. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Err... i live in norway, and we have no musicians friend here :(

18. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

it does doesnt it, but actually my other amp for smaller gigs is a markbass little mark II with a travler 151p which i think is absolutely amazing, i just find the aguilar very unclear and i dont think i would ever use it live without the 410.

Dave

19. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

I didnt mean to come across as hating oldskool tones either.

I honestly think that your best bet is to try out some of the single 12 enclosures mentioned above or go for the 210 115 combo which is almost a standard for many players that i know.

good luck

Dave

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think that Aguilar falls in the happy middle, which is why I like them so much. They don't sound as old school as an Ampeg or Sunn, but they're not as hi-fi as an Epifania or EA. If I were to give them a tonal reference, I'd say that they fall between the hifinish (is that a word?) of SWR and the warmth of Eden.

I know that my S 4x10's strike a great balance between fatness and punch.

P.s. I vote for the GS 2x12 for the OP's cab solution.