Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Album Changed Your life?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jahsekou, Apr 28, 2004.

1. ??

mine would probably have to be the first Rage Aganist the Machine album. I was about 11 when it dropped and since then I've been in love with music

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The first rock record I ever heard was Pink Floyd's Umma Gumma. That's what got me into music, not to mention warped me for life.

Hearing Ministry's Psalm 69 and King Crimson's Discipline had similar effects. Now nobody wants to be in a band with me!

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Operation Ivy's "Discography"

Dillinger Four's "Midwestern Songs of the Americas"

The Roots "Things Fall Apart"; Ursula Rucker's poem inspiried my writing style.

similarly, the Burroughs-esque lyrics of ATDI, particularly on "Relationship of Command"

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Less Than Jake - Losers, Kings, and Things Left Undone
    Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off
    Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dream Theater's "Awake" and Nine Inch Nail's "The Downward Spiral" are the two that have had the most recognizable impact on me as both a musicians and a lover of music.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was into music in general for years before it came out, but Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here was the first for me.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Absolutely Free" by the Mothers of Invention (Zappa)

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    AC/DC live. Before that, I didn't like music.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dark Side of the Moon

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    "in through the out door" Zep

"ritual de la habitual" Jane's addiction

"mother's milk" RHCP

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Prodigy Music for a jilted generation was the first I liked and from there got into Rage cos they toured together.And from there I just broadened my horizons.Very Zen

12. I think my personal turning points were:
    School Days - Stanley Clarke
    Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa
    Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
    Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
    Reality Check - Tribal Tech

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was into music before my memories truely begin. 6 years into playing I happened upon Mike Watt & fIREHOSE with their first release (1986) of "Ragin' full-on" and my life was altered forever.

14. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    The first rock record I heard (Dad's) was Revolver by the Beatles.

The first rock record I bought was Zeppelin II. Very life-changing.

Stumbled across Damaged by Black Flag in a record store in 1984 and, wow - that changed a lot of things for me.

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think that would be Guns n´ Roses´ "Appettite for Destruction",
    Before it I never cared much about music. Those songs made wanna play. :bassist:

16. I agree, always liked music but it was that album which got me into heavy rock and then metal :bassist:

17. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I think Presidents of the United States of America first got me started.

Then probably Mother's Milk by RHCP.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    There have been a few. In 1984 I was 9 years old and my older brother and I received a record player and a couple of albums for Christmas to share (we shared a bedroom) and Van Halen's "1984" quickly became our favorite. It really woke me up to a love of music. But the one that really really stands out was the next year when I was 10 years old, a friend gave me Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil" for my birthday. Mom and Dad and big brother all hated it - the Satanic imagery on the album cover, the make up and big hair, the dark and crass lyrics and harsh sounds - they all hated it all. That is when I first started forming independent opinions rather than being influenced by those close to me. I liked it because I liked it (and it made me a little rock and roll rebel) In 7th grade Metallica's Kill 'Em All had a life changing effect on me and in 9th grade I discovered Pink Floyd (beyond the tunes I'd heard on pop radio) and I was sucked in, deeply and for life. Later that year Primus woke me up again with Miscellaneous Debris and also Pork Soda. When I was about 26 I discovered Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention via "Cheep Thrills" and that has probably been the biggest life changing album for me so far.

19. I am 29. When I was 15, I heard mahavishnu orchestra "visions of the emerald beyond" man, that blew my head off!

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Me too! to this day, I get kind of nostalgic and weird feeling when I hear Eleanor Rigby.