Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Album Did Gary Willis Play "Giant Steps" On?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got the mp3 but I'd prefer to buy the album it's on. I figured it was on a Tribal Tech album, but I couldn't track it down.

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I think it was for a guitar magazine. Either a single or part of a compilation. It's very "band in the box" midi sounding - but he rips like nobodies business. :bassist:

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have ya'll heard Victor Wooten rip Giant Steps up on the first Vital Tech Tones album? I'm not a fan of the album as a whole but that's a pretty incredible rendition. In my mind just making the changes while doing all the other stuff is, in itself, pretty outstanding.

brad cook

4. As far as I know it's from the Bass Player 5th anniversary CD that came with the mag - he's never done it on record as it were - but boy does he take those changes apart....really awesome - Willis is the man for me on fretless.

Love the Wooten version too, just kind of silly really but unbelieveble notheless - and that odd metered intro of tapped chords is bloody brilliant too.

One more version I'd recommmend checking out is by Frode Berg (he posts here sometimes) on his album Dig It - his solo on six string is incredible, but the thing that really sets it off as original is that the whole tune is in 7/8 - talk about a headf*** - the groove is really nasty too - inspring and depressing by turns...

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you guys checked out Coltrane's version? It's great!

:bag:

brad cook

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Meh. Coltrane was a TERRIBLE fretless bass player ;) :D

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The incredible thing though is that he can make his bass sound just like a saxophone. :) Amazing.

brad cook

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, he uses a Boss VF1 rack unit to do that ;)

Actually, I saw Michael Manring use one of those live and he got a very realistic horn sound out of it.

9. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Don't ya think it's really just the fretless sound itself?

The VF1 is just a multi-fx unit - the same chorus, verb,eq, comp, delay as all the other Boss stuff - just in 1 box.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

You mean what Manring played? The VF1 box actually has more stuff than that-you can get a trumpet/sax effect out of it. When I heard him switch to the horn sound I thought he was hooked up to a MIDI unit. Nope, just the VF1.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You beat me to it, Brad!
    The thing is, when Giant Steps was first recorded, Coltrane was about the only guy that could play/solo over those changes. Listen to pianist Tommy Flanagan's(a very fine Jazz player) playing on that tune.

FWIW, I don't recall seeing "Giant Steps" on any Willis solo disc(or, for that matter, on any Tribal Tech albums).
    There is a nice version on Patitucci's Now album.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a Real Player version of it on Bassically.net. Here's the song:
    http://bassically.net/realmedia/willis_gs.ram

13. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Manring also does a killer version live on his "performance review" VHS. :bassist:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you happen to know where I could get ahold of this cd? I didn't see it on the Bass Player website, and I'd really like a copy. I'll check out Froda Berg as well.