What albums/songs did Geddy use the ric?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 9, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Saw the Paul thread, was curious about Geddy as well. I've been told early days, but what albums exactly?
  2. Hi Scott!

Geddy bought his Ric with the advance on their first album, although he was pictured at the time with a P-bass or a Canora.

So, he used the Ric on:

Fly By Night
    Caress of Steel
    All the World's A Stage
    A Farewell to Kings
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Exit...Stage Left

OK, so he also used his Jazz on some of the tracks on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, but mostly the Ric. He certainly was still using the Ric on Exit... and he has himself stated in interviews that he used both the Jazz and the Ric on Moving Pictures.

Some hardcore Rush fans (ala -myself) may disagree with certain songs, but in general, there's your list!
  3. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    "Rush" was played on a Precision. After that it was used for the bass effects on "By-Tor And The Snow Dog" and played on "The Lakeside Park".
    "Signals" is all Rickenbacker except "Digital Man" and "New World Man" (Jazz). "Moving Pictures" is all Jazz except "Red Barchetta" and "The Camera Eye" (Rick). Permanent Waves is all Rick except "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Entre Nous" (Jazz).
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Bang on, you are correct!
  5. That Ric tone on Hemispheres is unparalleled. Nobody can cop the sonic brilliance that Geddy achieves throughout that entire album. It's not all clickety-clak, neither too bright nor too muddled. Not only the tone and the attack, but coming up with the licks, the writing of the music, and staying consistent with the theme of the album. The message of the album is on display in their own approach to music over the course of the past 31 years. Heart vs. Mind. Left vs. Right. Art vs. Logic/Reason. Rush, as a unit and a concept, encompass this perpetual battle of analyzing (overanalyzing?) and playing from the soul. The battle that we, as musicians honing our craft, must participate in.

The perfect marriage of theory, heart, and art...that is Rush!

6. +1:bassist:
  7. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    + another 1

You go Red Wonder!

Just had a little Permanent Waves playing at work today.
  8. PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    What kind of mods did Geddy do to his Ric? I've heard he put a Bad Ass bridge on it. Anything else?

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't think he modded it at all, if he did it's news to me!
  10. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    In the latest Bass Player, there's a pic of Geddy playing and it looks like a Badass Bridge. Otherwise, it looks untouched.
  11. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Does anybody know how he recorded the RIC, like on "Fly by Night", for example? I thought I read that he used his Sunn rig (I guess mic'd). Also, what was he doing/using to get that amazing tone on "2112"?

Thanks - Skel
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen tons of pics with an original BA on his Ric.