Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What all is needed to amplify vox?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Listen, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    My band and I need to rent some PA stuff for our singer, and I was wandering what exactly is needed.

(I know it's a dumb question)

2. a mixer, a few speakers (probably two cabs, with one 12" speaker inch or something...depending on what you need volume-wise), some cables and a mic.
    what is it for? shows? or just practicing?

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    It's for practice, were thinking of renting something, but nothing fancy just 2 mics and whatever else.

4. Here you go.

(j/k):D

5. Not a dumb question, Listen!!;) Some rental places can be very helpful if you explain what you're using the PA for. Also, talk about how much you want to spend. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $5000 renting gear, and I'd imagine you don't want to spend a bunch. The rental shop should be asking "How big is the room you will be in, & how much do you want to spend?" Then they can show you a few options for the electronics and the speaks, etc. Also, take some time to learn how to run it while you're at their shop. Feedback can ruin your day and ask the rental shop how you can prevent it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. :)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;) :D

7. Simple list for vox only in about a 100 person room:

cardiod mic
    mic stand
    mic cable
    powered mixer
    speaker cables