Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What all tube heads can I run into 2 Ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jun 16, 2005.

1. hi,
    I have a SWR Goliath III cab (4 ohm) and a SWR 550x Head, which I'm very disappointed of, so I'm looking forward to selling the 550x and buying an all tube head. I'd also like to add a Ampeg 4 x 10 cab (4 Ohm), which would mean, that I have 2 Ohm on my Cabs. So i will need an all tube head which I can run with 2 Ohm. I think, the Ampeg SVT CL can do this, something else too? Do you know if The SVT 2 Pro or the Mesa 400+ also can be switched at 2 Ohm?

thank you

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    original SVT and SVT-II

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Mesa/Boogie 400+ will do 2 ohms all day long, a Traynor YBA200 will also pull 2 ohms but at the cost of 20 watts of power per Yorkville rep Shale Leech.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman Pro 300
    Trace V6(?) and V8

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    SVT-2PRO has a 2 ohm tap....no problem.

6. Aggie DB 359 will run 2 ohm with a little tweak.

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
  8. wow.. thanks very much. well made list, helps a lot.

9. from what ive seen, most tube amps run a tap at either 2ohm or 4ohm, is there any with an 8ohm tap ?

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mesa does 8 ohm, and so does the Fender/Sunn 300T..

In fact, I thought most DID except for Ampeg and my Trace..

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the Eden only does 4 or 8, but I could be wrong on that one.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Actually, your right. I remember that now.

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Great list...is that right that the Trace V8 actually weighs a little less than the V6? My V6 is pretty hefty, a little less than 66 lbs sounds, FYI, since the shipping weight out to me was 65 lbs IIRC... but I'd always assumed that the V8 was heavier.

14. I would say that the list is about right. The V8 chassis is probably a little heavier, but there is more wood in the V6 sleeve which probably accounts for the difference overall. The three carrying handles make the V8 seem lighter than it is.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's true. Only problem is lifting the damn thing onto your cabs. Then again, when I get a Schroeder, that won't be much of an issue ;)