What am i supposed to do now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeatlesBassist4, Jul 7, 2004.

1. BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Ok heres my story.

I go to guitar center and buy a brand new MIM Fender Jazz Bass. Im loving it and all then i notice that on the D string my 8th and 9th fret buzz. So i go to get it repaired and i get it back....and its still the same all they did was higher my action back up :mad:

So i call them and tell them i want a new bass, so they say go to this other guitar center, because thats where they have my color in stock.

So i go to the new guitar center and get my bass i test it out and its all cool. When i get home i pick it up and start playing, and a few notes on the D string is buzzing :mad: :mad:

But the thing is it only buzzes when its not plugged it....you cant hear it through an amp.

So i dont kno what to do right now im just so angry. Is there anything i can do to fix the buzz??

I need advice guys! :bawl:
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I would suggest getting it set up by a professional... and I don't mean at GC. I wouldn't trust anyone there.

Chances are you'll always hear a little buzz unplugged. What's important is that you don't hear it through the amp. Getting it set up properly should make the buzz less noticeable, though.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

My American Jazz Deluxe buzzes at some spots. You just can't avoid it sometimes. But with a professional setup, you can make it very hard to notice, and as long as it doesn't come through the amp, you're just fine. A pro setup would also help.
  4. BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Yea my bass teacher can set it up for me. Hes a professional so i guess that will help.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  5. Just keep getting new ones till you get a good one.

Exploit GC's willingness to give you new basses. Send them for a loop. They sent you for one.
  6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Have it set up by a guitar tech....... with a new set of strings.
    make sure he Check's to see that all the frets are level.

There's no reason why the bass can't be set up at 2/32" with no buzzing! (unless of couse if the neck is warped...if so get a new one from GC!)
  7. SMASH is right, firstly, and combined with the less noticeableness of plugging into an amp, it shouldn't be a problem. My bass buzzes unplugged, and even when I play with a light touch, the E is a little too buzzy. However, I don't want to raise my action, and when I plug in for band practice I don't notice buzz, just a bit of growl.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I personally have no issue whatsoever with string noise that is not apparent through an amp. If it feels good, plays good, and sounds good - it is good.
  9. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    no one can hear you buzz, so dont make a fuss
  10. Damn near all mass produced (and some higher end) instruments need to be set up. And that generally means a little work on the frets. And 'no' I would not settle for an instrument that buzzes to the point of me noticing IT, rather than concentrating on the part I'm supposed to be playing. Smash is right in regard to considering your touch...but you did mention you were studying with someone. I hope he/she is attending to your technique. And 'yes' exploit GC's policy...it's a good one. It not only helps the customer but is should act as an indicator of the quality of their merchandise.
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Good call. And as already posted, buy a new set of strings. If you're not sure which gauge and or brand(s), ask your teacher, chances are very good that he'll know what's a good 'standard' brand and gauge for you. Also, ask him to look at your neck to see if your bass needs a truss rod adjustment. If you're teacher spots a problem that requires major repair, take the bass back to GC for an exchange or a full refund.
    This may seem like a lot of hassle, but once the kinks are worked out of your bass, it'll feel great to play.

May I rant a bit?
    1. You're the customer, the customer is always right! Even at GC.
    2. I can't believe they had you do their leg work by having you go to another location to get the bass you paid for. Gripe to the store manager about this, a free set of strings is the very least they can do.
    3. Their "Repair Tech" (aka: Flunky Goofball with an allen wrench) did a 'quick fix' bridge adjustment when a truss rod adjustment was the first thing they should've done! Once the neck settled, then it's time to adjust the bridge saddles!

I could go on and on. I hate lazy sales clerks. I deal with people like this all day in my job. I wish I lived in your town, I'd go with you and use my 'G.I. Joe Kung Fu Grip' on em' :D :D ! With any luck, you'd get a free SVT stack for your trouble ;) .

Sorry for the rant, slack C.S. is a real sore spot for me......anyone know where my Prozac and Anger Management tapes are?!? ;)
  12. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I really hate this idea.
    I'm reminded of a line from Mallrats which applies here but violates some terms of use.