Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What am I trying to accomplish?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Volk, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I've begun to seriously attempt to understand theory, however I'm not quite clear on what my goal is.

What I'm trying to say is, what exactly do I need to memorize? Should I be able to recall offhand all of the notes in every major scale and play them out on the bass or is knowing w-w-h-w-w-h good enough? Should I know a moveable fingering position for modes and scales or should I have every note memorized and play it like that?

Thanks for your time

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Well you should know the notes to the scales because you should know every note on the fingerboard.You can't read music if you don't know what the notes are.

3. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I know all the notes on the fretboard and I know how to read music, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be memorizing with all this theory.

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I suppose it is understanding the relationship of musical notes, and being able to understand why the "right" note to play is right, or what makes a melody sound attractive.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hookus, all nail and no thumb in your reply. That's exactly what this theory does for you. Anybody can memorize patterns, but playing music...that's a whole different ballgame.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Theory helps with playing with others also. I went to a jam last Wednesday and this guy gets up on the 6 and starts playing. Good for him I have a good ear. I asked him what progressions he was doing.. He didn't know what pitch he was in let alone what a progression was. I was OK with that until he got impatient with me. I wanted to say, Sorry Pal my psychic hat is at home.

HTH,

DCat

7. Steve Brooks

Steve Brooks

Jan 6, 2005
    upstate ny
    Learn everything you can, and start now. It will take you the rest of your natural life anyway. :hyper:

8. brassed

brassed

Jan 3, 2006
    for all playing purposes, you should know the notes of the scales. Knowing the patterns will help you figure out what the notes are in scales/modes you are not fluent in.

example: while learning my minor scales at school I would memorize the Natural Minor scale note for note and for the Harmonic and Melodic minor I would use the patterns, flat 6th with leading tone and the like.(I am a brass instrumentalist who also plays bass, patterns arent as easy to see)