Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp am I describing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildsponge, Sep 29, 2005.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    What "sound" is this? Strong low mids that when cranked punch you right in the chest, smooth upper mids that complement a pickstyle and some top end zing without being harsh. Obviously this is pretty subjective, but I think this is what I'm looking for. Is this the eden sound? Something else?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Sounds like a classic SVT 8x10 rig to me.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    SWR accomplishes that task fairly well.

And I have actually been impressed with the latest Fender Bassman series for pulling off this sort of sound...

And no, it's not just that I'm tired of the cliche "SVT" answer to everything... :D

4. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Really? Right now I have an SVT-CL with the 410hlf and I'm not getting the tone I'm looking for. I think the cab is the weakest link. I'm thinking about getting a berg nv610 but I don't know if I can do without a tweeter. I like the zing you get with a pick and rounds but the 410hlf can get harsh. The problem is that I haven't played enough brands to know how they all sound. Furthermore, the tone I usually get in stores is way different then when I actually use it. I'll probably just play as many brands as I can, but until I can, I want to get pointed in the right direction. Where should I look?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are just talking amp, and not cab or combo, what you describe makes me think of my iAMP 800 (as a solid state answer) or perhaps a Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+ or any Trace Elliot all tube head (as tube options).

Tom.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Strong low mids is the Eden xlt cabs' forte, and the "enhance" on their amps or SWR amps will get the highs you describe (although they draw away the low-mids), but many feel Eden tweeters can be on the harsh side. I find SWR amps/cabs pretty harsh in the high end and the high mids - some can make them sound good, and toward the sound you describe, although "punch in the chest" for the lows is really stretching things.

I'd guess an Eden xlt cab for the low-mid punch, with any decent, clean power amp (with a good amount of headroom for the cab), and an aural exciter or BBE sonic maximizer will get you pretty dern close to what you're looking for.

And I can't speak to the new Bassman series, but with some tweaking I'm sure I could get my old Fender BXR400 to get very close to what you descibe - although it's quite noisy and pretty underpowered that was a great amp, extremely flexible (once I took 3 or 4 years! to get used to it). So I wouldn't count out Fender either.

7. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Tom, what cab would you recommend for a clean tweeter with a strong low mid presence? Ag or Berg or...?

And I reckon a Mesa or Trace head might be a little "fuller"/more "vintage" tone than what he's going for....

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    IMO, the 410hlf can get blurry when pushed...a little boomy on occasion. The Edens (210XLT in particular) might be the sound you describe. The SVT and 810 can get that too if you eq right. What you describe, however is kind of subjective, so all of our respective choices might do it in our own minds, but not meet your expectations.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I can get a sound rather like that from my Mesa. I can also get a very smooth bottom heavey sound, a bright tinny sound, a harsh growl across the whole spectrum and a lot of variations on these themes.

Its a very versitile rig that still always manages to sound like itself no matter what I do to it.

11. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I think I get he kind of tone you're looking for, grind but with a lot of punch. Anyhow this is my rig....

MIA Fender Jazz --->Mesa 400+---->Ampeg BSE410HLF
    ---->Ampeg BSE410HS (slant)

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Bag End ... Their co-ax is bar none the smoothest tweeter I've ever heard in a bass rig. The GK and Bag End combination does the tone that the original poster describes pretty darned well. Lot's of punch, reasonably full bass with no mud at all and very clear highs.

13. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i think a vintage ampeg 8x10 sounds exactly liek that almost

-Jake

14. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    with the old svt of course, my bad. :bassist:

-Jake

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I can only recommend my own rig, which to me fits your criterion - which was my goal also - and 'sounds just the way I like'. I've posted and posted, and have gotten nearly zero responses at all - I'd much rather someone would say "are you nuts? I tried it, and it sounds like crap with my bass" or something, rather than sitting here and thinking "is this thing on?"! Anyway:

I use a GK 700RBII, and a JBL JRX125 PA cab. Now I know that the GK's reputation precedes it - a very nice head - but it's my cab choice that's unusual. I shopped and shopped - tried MANY cabs - and as soon as I heard this cab I knew that 'I was on to something'!

This JBL only cost me US$400 (Interstate Music); That's a low-low price for this caliber of output, if you ask me (top-notch drivers, but the cab's built from spit'n'sawdust, with black rat fur covering). Expense was a factor for me, but I was willing to save longer if I had to (making dough by playing gigs on borrowed equipment) - even if it were $500 or more, I honestly think it STILL would have been my choice.

It consists of two fifteens, and a Horn with a 1"-throat driver. I love the sound of this cab, and the dispersion is wonderful - I sound the same all-over! Also, it's pretty efficient - 100dB @ 1W/1m. Nice-and-loud, if I need it to be!

The only audio problem with this not-made-for-bass-guitar cab, is that when I run it up near full output, the ports start to noticeably "chuff" (I mean not usually as-loud as the drummer's snares and every-other thing in the room that's rattling from the hundred-twenty-some Decibel assault, but..!) - this puts a limit on maximum volume; I think this limits me from acually inputting the rated 500W RMS.

I sure like it a lot, and get compliments from many folks on my tone!

Someone give it a try, and post your opinion, will ya?!!

"Is this thing on?"

Joe