what amp and cab(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Aug 9, 2003.

1. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    i hate my crappy hartke VX410 and hartke 3000 amp.i bought it thinking that it would be loud enough and didnt do my research. i was just impatient on getting a decent cab and amp. i have been doing research on different brands and have tried many. one major factor for me is size. i can fit my cab now barely into the back seat (i have a BMW 328is (2dr)). id like to have plenty of power, atleast 600 watts. i played with my friends band at this little outdoor concert and played it at 6 on the vol. knob and it was clipping like a mofo. and still didnt cut through. so now down to business, i have looked at getting two aggie 1X12's which would put me at 600 watts. another idea was an ampeg BSE-410HLF cab, not sure if its enough, so then i thought of the BXT-410HLF which is pricey, but worth it in the long run. now the head unit i was looking at was the SVT-350H head. the way it sounds is that it is all tube and it says it puts out 350 watts into 4ohms. but would that push the cabs i have mentioned before or not? id like to get a used head for a decent price, preferably in the 500-750 range. something that has some headroom for the cab. this is a long rant, but id like to figure this **** out and get what i need. im open to all suggestions, im not 100% set on ampeg, but thats what im leaning towards right now. thanks for reading this long post.

2. OK, I read UP TO your aguilar idea. I own a hartke 3500, and it aint bad and yes it clips like crazy. I think even if you just get the 2 aguilar 1x12's it will be atleast 3x better sounding than the hartke cab. Hartke makes good top of the line stuff in their XL series and I think their major thing is their aluminum speakers. Some hate it some dig it, but you definetly need an XL series cab if you like hartke cabs. Their paper cones tend to bottom out easily from my experience. Using 2 8 ohm aguilar cabs will push 300 watts I believe and you won't be clipping as soon either. I'm using my 3500 head with an avatar CB115 and a Peavey TX410, and while it does clip once you start pushing it, it does PUMP. I don't like the clipping, and they certainly cheaped out on their input jacks. Mine have gotten a bit dirty and it has a tendency to cut out after about an hour of playing. Someone made me aware ofwhat was going on and a Q-tip and some rubbing alchohol could take care of it. But if this amp's going to cut out, you can count on your 3000 head eventually start to do the same thing. You'll be able to pull more out of the amp with 2 aggie GS112's, for the meantime. But yeah, you're going to upgrade the amp anyways. Check out a GK 800RB or something on that line. Nice sounding heads. I'm never buying another piece of hartke gear again unless it's a kickback 10 for practicing or it's an XL series cab.

You'll be happy with the Aguilars I think
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hey g dub.....at least you pretty much know what you want. I had not ideas what I was talking about, or what I wanted/needed.

If the Hartke 3000 was nowhere loud enough for you, then you are doing the right thing by jumping right up with the big boys in the 600 watt range.

I have never played Aggie gear, but everyone says they rock. For your size concerns, I would do something like that, or a couple 210s. Easier to carry around, easier to fit in the car.

I doubt you will have much problems finding a head in your price range. I see GKs that size in your price range alot. The Carvins get pretty good reviews also.

I am by no means an expert, but I thought I would toss out my opinions.
  4. Hell man, You may even want to consider a 1000 watt amp... I hear the aggies like a lot of power, you just ogtta be sure you're not running the amp to push the speakers too hard.
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A more efficient cab is another way to increase volume. If you double the power, you will only get around a 3db increase in volume. You may be able to find a cabinet that is 3db louder (or more) than your current cab - which is may be better than doubling the power.

I don't know what the sensitivity rating of the Hartke cab is but you may have the info in the owner's manual.

Examples of Cabinet Sensitivity:

Eden D410XLT - 106DB SPL

Ampeg BSE-410H - 95db SPL

Ampeg BSE-410HLF - 99db SPL

Note that the Eden would sound considerably louder than either of the Ampeg Cabs using the same amout of power.
  6. The SVT-350H that youre considering is not all tube... in fact, its not tube at all. Its completely solid state, but it uses a Mosfet power amp to 'simulate' tube warmth and distortion. Ive never tried one, but just thought you should know that they arent all tube...

The GK 800RB sounds like a decent choice for me, if you feel more power hungry you could step up to the 1001RB too.

7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The 350 I used to have was a quiet piece of crap.
  8. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Id go GK as long as you're cool with their durability problems. (touching up the solder joints seems to be a common repair) I think they sound better than ampeg, not to mention they are much cheaper.
    hmmm for $750 id try to put together a rack system. find yourself a decent enough power amp and and a sansamp rbi....
  9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah the SVT-350H is basically a B-2 in head form. if you look at the specs, they are all the same... oh its also more expensive. but G-K would be a good idea. i second the hartke thing for cabs. i have a XL, and it rocks. peavey 4x10's are pretty good, and can be had for cheap.