1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What amp and cabinet--Joe Loeffler Chevelle RED

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xvertirx, Nov 9, 2006.

1. What amp/cabinet didJoe Loeffler use to record the Chevelle song Red? I assume he used a stingray bass right?

I tried to search the forums but I came up with too many results. If someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

thanks.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't know if he recorded with a miked amp or direct only, or both.

Youtube video of an early performance shows him playing through an Ampeg SVT. But he's pictured in a Mesa catalog I have at home. So he probably switched brands.

3. Jeph

Jeph

Nov 10, 2006
    Don't know about his recording rig, but "definitely" on the Musicman. He always performed (and I assume recorded) with some kind of a Stingray with a B string. Mostly with some form of vintage 4-string 'ray (BEAD), Stingray 5 from time to time, and later on: Bongo.

4. I would imagine with the sound of the tracks (grunty and overdriven) that they used at least some amount of mic'd signal. I don't know spcifically what he used, but I can say that an StingRay 5 into an Ampeg will give you something very similar.

Good luck!