Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp and speaker to get????????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mherigstad, Mar 26, 2002.

1. mherigstad

mherigstad

Mar 26, 2002
    First off I would like to say I am new to the new board. I have been playing bass in my band for about 2 years now. I just recently purchased a Squire MB-5 5 string. I have an old (1983) Peavey TNT 115. It works well in my house but at gigs its pretty weak. Plus I think the speakers going out because it makes weird distortion type noises when turned up, espeacially with my 5th string. The only place we have ever played is at my high school. They have a peavey PA system with 2 15" Black Widows. I usually tap into that and then its pretty good. I want to get something louder so I don't have use the schools. I would like to get a head and serperate speaker(s). I really don't know how much power I need. I would like to spend around $500-$700. I not particular to one brand so any recommendations will be appreciated. Since I live in rural ND I really can't go anywhere to try out stuff. There is one music store near me and thats 50 miles away and doesn't carry much. Most the stuff I buy is off musiciansfriend.com

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You should consider buying used gear to get the most for your money. I'm going to assume you are playing rock music.

Keep your eyes open for a Galien Krueger 400RB head, used for about $250.

Then look for Peavey 410TX cabinets (4-10") or maybe some Carvin 4-10" cabs, again about $250.

Check eBay, Harmony Central, bassgear.com, etc. if there isn't a good used gear market where you live.

At that point sell your Peavey or keep it and have the speaker reconed (about $50).

For now, avoid boosting the bass EQ either on the amp or on the bass, that will help keep you from distorting the speaker.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, mherigstad!!!

brianrost always has great amp info. on Talkbass. So, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely give serious thought to what he says, especially his "used" reco, considering your budget.

The only aspect where we differ is on the Carvin 4x10. The Carvin won't handle your B string, IME. But he is on target about the 4x10 - decent 4x10's produce a lot of volume with proper RMS wattage.

From what I've found from owning a Carvin Cyclops and their 4x10 + 18", I think Carvin never took the B string into consideration when they spec'd out their speakers to Eminence. (Maybe their 8x10 can handle a B, since it's a relatively new cab).

If you can line up a used/new Genz-Benz cab, give it real consideration. I never owned one, but I have used them in situations where you just use whatever rig was provided. Their ability to handle my B string was solid. Considering Genz-Benz prices, their cabs have impressed me.

4. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    Yes, yes, WELCOME!

Around here, there doesn't seem to be an amp of choice. And that can get confusing. Look at every amp you can, and compare prices and sound!!

Check out www.carvin.com Sounds like everyone who has a Carvin is pleased with it, and you can buy direct from the company... meaning = save $$$$ Biggest bang for the buck, and I'm not the first to say so.

Good luck to ya!

5. I agree with the Peavey 410 for a cabinet.They handle a B-string well and around here they go for about $300.Also look for a used Hartke 3500. They are pretty cheap used and have decent power.

6. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    EBAY and bassgear.com are going to be your best friends in the entire world if you are that far from a music store. Look used it's the cheapest way to land good equipment and 99% of the time other players take excellent care of their gear that they are going to sell. So look used try to find maybe an SWR 350 head with a triad might be around $700 used or look at Gallien-Krueger stuff used you should be able to land a good head form them for under $300 and then go to www.avatarspeakers.com and order a 4x10 for under $300, and then you'll have a good setup for under $600. By the way Avatar is factory direct so their stuff is new.
    Hope that helps.