Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp / bass sound settings do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Musik Meister, Mar 12, 2002.

1. I want to know how you guys keep your knobs :eek:

so post away your neato settings!

2. SKwiRL

SKwiRL

Mar 12, 2002
    Daouglas Ga
    that depends on what song you are playing, in a soft song I usually turn the bass up and the treble and mids down, and on a faster song, or a song that requires a clearer tone, I turn the treble and the mids up and the bass down

;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually flat EQ. I use the Shape button (100hz and 1kHz boost, 400Hz cut IIRC) on my preamp for slap sounds and silky fretless sounds.
    The rest is done on my Bartolini 2-band EQ, usually a little boost on both bass and treble.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    On my ampeg, i push the ultra low button, which cuts mids and boosts lows.
    I leave the bass knob alone and boost the mids w/ the frequency selector knob at #4, which is around 2K i think... and i boost the treble to about 3 or 4 o'clock. I run my bass flat.

A lot of people say that boosting everying is moot, and i should just turn up, but i like the way this sounds more than i like running the rig flat and turning up... so yea...

i play mostly rock music but i'm going for what i think is the "ideal" punk tone.

5. I usually start with the bass flat and make rough tone adjustments on the preamp. I don't use compression because I have a bit of headroom on the amp and if I want the bass to bark a little all I have to do is dig in a little more.

Normally I use a bit of midrange boost and lay on the volume to bring the bass and treble up. If I need to fine-tune things then I adjust them on the bass as the situation dictates - so bass and treble are usually at about 12:00 and midrange is at 2:00. Most of my volume control comes from my fingers - I usually have the amp pretty well cranked up.

allan

6. sorry i'm such a newbie but what do you mean by flat?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden WT-300
    (all number proceded by o'clock)
    I keep the (non defeatable) compression at about 10-2, depending on my mood/the room, gain at 10, volume at 12-1, Bass boosted one or two clicks, Low boosted one or two clicks, Mids flat, Highs Flat, Treble boosted one click.
    Semi-parametric EQ- Lows at 3, mids at 1, highs at 3.

Almost flat. I crank the treble tone on both basses, one with a MM style pup, and the other I use the P pup. It's big, bad, and loud. The 410XLT rounds out the sound. It's pretty basic, really.

8. Well look at this.... i stop in to check on things and well off to Misc.Lol

it would've been Amps but you're a sly creature and throw in the "bass settings"

:D:D

Merls

9. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    on my old ampeg I used, it had three dials; treble, mid, bass... my treble was up halfway... my mid was up like a quarter, and my bass was up between halfway and three-quarters.. it gave me a nice full sound with some good high end...

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My EQ is flat for the most part with most of the sound settings coming from the Digitech BP-200. It's not for bass puritans, but it works for me.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My settings depend on the following:

Which bass I'm playing
    Which amp
    Which speakers
    Which band
    Which song
    What mood I'm in

Sometimes I don't use any EQ ("flat"), sometimes I tweak liberally.