Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Amp Do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Aug 12, 2002.

1. hey all
    I've just started a punk band and will start doing small gigs soon. I have no idea on what wattage or type of amp I'll need. I want something that'll be reliable but affordable. I've been looking at some heads around 400w RMS. Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be lookin at?

Thanx- Wilks:confused:

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Where will you be playing?
    Big arenas, small clubs, lots of screaming people, a substantial crowd, but listening....

The kind of music doesn't matter as much as the venue.

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    For a punk band just starting out, I'd say go for the Peavey TNT. Its only 150 watts but damn loud. You can hear yourself over the drummer. I played small shows with a TNT when my band just started out.

4. I'd say get a head with about 300w-350w. You'll be safe if you go this route. I doubt you will need something bigger unless your playing big places. It all depends on where your gonna play. Only one guitarist? What does he/she play through? How big are the venues?

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    a 400+ and an 810! Who then cares what the other guys have!:D

6. Buy a 500 watt SWR SM 400-S from E-Bay - less then a dollar a watt ($450)

7. Thanx for all the tips lads

There are 2 other guitarists in the band. We'll mostly be playing Partys and smaller venues, outside alot of the time.

Would it be a bad idea to look at combo amps?

Later
    Wilks

8. i'd go with rack stuff and seperate cabs, simply cos if a year or so down the line u don't like something then u can change it easier. If you'v been playing a long time and know EXACTLY what u like, then perhaps a combo is in order, just IMO.

i reckon 350 watts would do you, no more, no less. perhaps a 410, or a 210 and a 112, or a 210 and a 15, u really just gotta go out and try everything u can, and get what YOU like, not what WE like! :)

good luck
    *Si*

9. Thanks guys.

I'm bidding on a 300 watt labsystems head right now(on the aussie e-bay).
    I'll probably try to pick up a 410 2nd hand too.

later
    -wilks

10. are we talkin tube or solid start watts:confused: ?

11. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    How much do you wanna spend?

I'd get as much power as you can afford.

2nd hand:
    For example - peavey mk4 - $450 200 watts a side
    marshall 400w - $600
    labsystems 300 0r 400 - bout $750
    acoustic 370 - $300

Another option is a pre/poweramp rig , you'll get alot more watts per $$.

Jands J600s poweramp 300watts a side (600watts) can be bought for $400 and a peavey max preamp or yamaha pb1 preamp can be bought for around $250 so for lessthan $700 you'll have a 600watt amp that'll play almost anywhere.

Boxes - EV tl 15" around $350
    quads - around $400 for a half decent one.Say both boxes $800 + 600watt power/pre amp - $700
    $1500 - amp that will do anything , be able to compete with 2 guitar amps and a loud drummer.
    Don't forget you may land some pub gigs. So I'd say get the biggest rig you can afford and wish to cart around.

Prices are in AuD of course.
    cheers
    :)

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've noticed that 95% of the time with bass amps, it's solid state(unlike with guitar stuff where the high-end amplification is mostly tube).

Anyways, I think that 300w would be enough for any kind of venue. I just bought Hartke 3500-head(350w) which is generally considered to be good for the money, and am currently hunting for a cab. Check them out if you can find them around.

EDIT: With 'any kind of venue' I mean that 350w would be loud enough in clubs. On outdoor gigs, you usually can connect to PA to be heard.

13. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    I hope you got my emails reguarding this amp.

14. Yep I got them.
    Thanks heaps. I've since had a change of mind.
    later
    -wilks

15. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Lucky
    Whoever pays $1200 for that amp will be seriously dudded, I think I know who bought it , he's a bit of a 'wheeler n dealer':D

Yeah you'll find a VP300s for $800 no worries

16. For small gigs and parties, 300-350 watts will be sufficient. But outdoors, you lose the acoustics the room provides. Sound bounces off the walls in all directions to more or less surround the listener. You'll need to be much louder when playing outside, unless you have a PA system setup with speaker cabs behind the crowd.

17. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    for punk, ampeg, ampeg and ampeg