What amp do u recomend for keeping up to the drums in a jamming situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    How many watts do I need and what type of speaker configuration do u recomend for a five string bass paying rock and alternative?
  2. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    are you play heavy rock or metal, need more wattage here to stick out in the mix, I use a 500 watt amp through a 410 cab and I stand out with a very agressive and hard hitting drummer.:)
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a GK 1001RB-II. 700 some watts. Killer tone.
  4. More watts does not necessarily mean a louder amp. I have played 500w amps that are louder than 1200 watt amps, and also a 350w amp that wasn't as loud as a 250w amp. Watts are a power rating, not a loudness rating. I won't even go into tube watts vs. solid state watts.....

Cab efficiency is also a big factor. There is just no way to give you a definitive number.

I use a 350w B2R for rehearsals, and it has plenty of power to spare keeping up with a moderately loud drummer and a guitarist with a 180w tube powered 2x10 combo.

It all comes down to what you think.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    as much wattage as you can afford. you're not gonna blast it all the time, but at least you have the "headroom".
  6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd want to know more about the situation. How loud is the drummer? How many down-tuned or 7-string guitars are you competing with? Are you jamming in a garage or on stage, i.e. how big is the room? What kind of tone do you like?

I have been in a couple of bands where a guitarist had a 4x12 cabinet that put out some SERIOUS low end - enough that it made it hard for my bass to be heard on stage. The only way to win in that situation is to quit... or hope the gui**** does.
  7. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I'd reconmend you look into a 410 cab, that is efficient. From what I can tell, the Ampeg's, Eden's and Schroder's are all really efficient, and can get real loud. I use a GK 800 RB II which can only push 300 watts into 1 cab. Or 700 watts into 3. But none the less, I play with a drummer who plays really loud, a guitarits with a 2x12 vox, and a guitarists with a vintage bassman (410?). The 800 RB keeps up great, and when it doesn't you can just DI it, which is allways a solution to note enough volume.

Just on pure watts (solid state wise)- I'd look for over 250 watts and use a 410 cabinet (eden preferably :) )

8. I have an Ampeg 410HLF cabinet and although it is pretty sensitive, (I think it's 99dB/W/m) I also have a Gallien Krueger 410SBX, which is the non-ported one and that has a sensitivity rating of 103dB/W/m.

I bought the GK when I went to a local music store to try and find a smaller, lighter cab for little gigs.

I tried Ashdown, SWR, Hartke, EBS and GK while I was there and though the EBS 2x12 was damn close, the GK won.

So much so that I thought it was a 4 ohm cab but it turned out it was an 8 ohm! Out came the credit card and I took the GK.
  9. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
  11. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Dependds on your playing style. For most fingerstyle rock, I'd say at least 200 W. I've gigged very successfully with both a Trace Elliot AH200 (200 W into 4 Ohms) and a Trace Elliot V-Type head (220 W into 4 or 8 Ohms). Right now, my main rig is the SWR setup in my .sig, with 750 W into 4 Ohms, but my cabs can't handle the full power rating, so I never turn it all the way up. Generally, I use two 8 Ohm cabs. Used to be two 1x15's, now it's a 2x10 and a 1x15. I want to go back to two 1x15's.

Oh, and I play fingerstyle rock and "alternative" (god, I hate that term--it means *nothing* anymore).