What amp do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottos150, Feb 24, 2003.

1. I have 400 dollars, what combo amp would give me the most bang for my buck(please don't take that the wrong way).
  2. 5 string or 4 string bass ?

I havent played it that much to test it but I've heard the SWR workingmans 12 and it has nice tone. Probably can pick up a used one on ebay for about $400.
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've seen used Nemesis 2X10" combos going for about that used. Never heard or played through one, but read a lot of good reviews. Watch the classified boards and eBay
  4. Do you play with a pick?

If so, the Hartke 1415 would definitely give you the most "BANG".

"TANG" is actually the word that best describes their tone, but it does rhyme with 'bang'.

If you play with your fingers, I'll second the Nemesis and SWR.
  5. Ampeg B50R also seems tog et good reviews and tops out at $400 , 50 watts.
  6. I prefer pick, but play both finger style and pick
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ampeg B50R

Hartke Kickback 112
  8. ampeg R100 the 100 watt version of the formentioned combo. Can be had in your range used, its a good amp.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like my Tech21/SansAmp Landmark 60, which is in your price range. Use it as a nice 60W combo now, and as a powered kickback monitor/DI later.

10. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown is making some really good combos that you could probably buy used for around that. If you really want to stay in that price range, you will definitely get more in the used market. What was that tube Mesa Boogie combo that came as a monitor? the Boogie Buster or something, those sound really good and you can either use it like a regular amp or put in front of you and make every soundman love you.
  11. I have a Behringer BX1200 that I like. I got it for a little over $200. 120 Watts.

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    There have been alot of threads latley, have a look around and you may get some more answers :D

just a few things buddy, when you start a thread wanting to know about an amp can you make it clear its about an amp and not your bass . Ive gone to the "trouble" of fixing it up, but just remember that in the future. Also try and put all relevant information in one post, that way you will get alot more info quicker. ;)

Cheers bud!
  13. sorry. iwas just trying to draw attention to my thread.:rolleyes:
  14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  15. Score!! I'd be all over that one. Cool rig.