What amp do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gremson, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I'm curious how many folks dig on effects to expand upon their sound, or use them as a crutch to compensate for a mediocre amp. Especially considering folks that have an "always on" effect. I'd also love to know in what application you're using your setup. Gigging, practice, recording, etc...

Which one are you? Why?

I use a Peavey Musician head through a Peavey 2X15 cab. I use modulation effects for flavor in certain sections, but I leave an SFT on all the time to mimic some tube response from an overall sterile amp.
    Tell me about yours!
  2. Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    I've got an SVT. I love it! I really didn't think much of pedals until a while ago. Now I have an overdrive, a fuzz and an Bass Balls funk type pedal. When I started I had a Fender Rumble 100 and didn't like the sound. Rather than pedals I ran my bass into a pre-amp into the effects loop return to skip the pre-amp section of the Rumble and it was a huge change. I really liked a TB Raxx Tube preamp my friend lent me. Made the Rumble a whole different amp.
  3. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I my amp is ****** awesome.

I use effects to make my instrument sound like a spaceship landing on your face.
  4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have an SVT-II that's been pretty much relegated to recording purposes because of I've gotten tired of schlepping it around at ~100lbs in a rack.

I'm very happy with my GK 700RB-II, even if the voicing isn't exactly the same as my Ampeg, but it's become my gigging, and frequent practice head.
  5. I have an SVT-III Pro that I used to happily use without any effects for about 3 years. Then I had a band change, and started to experiment with a much more modern scooped tone, which saw the acquisition of a few pedals (m-80 then b7k, compressor, chorus). It was about this time I upgraded from a 410 to a 610 cab, which is a little excessive for the places I play, but I just love the extra oomph. Is great for recording though!

I really like this amp. I don't see a reason to get another one, I know how it works and I can get the sound I want and can dial in tones I like without any effects at all (recorded a few tracks this way). I know lots of others are on a neverending search for tone, but I've found what I want and feel like I have a lot of different sounds to play with.
  6. J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    I use a TC Electronic BG250 for a fairly affordable vintage sounding amp with the tubedrive feature, or if I want it has freaking buttersmooth lows on it. I use that with a mutron octave divider, 2 fuzz pedals and an EHX superego for freezing on it as my main bass amp, and I have a crappy guitar combo amp with a knitting needle in its speaker for my distorted tone, and i have my bassballs, wah, RAT and small stone going through that. Sounds pretty neat.
  7. J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that for live shows I have a 3rd channel: my Darkglass B7K goes to the FOH.
  8. How about no amp except for the PA? It ticks me off when the "crutch" word gets used, like you're trolling.
  9. SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I use an old Gk 2000rb with a 4x10 eden cab for my big set-up. (Downsized years ago from an old svt 2 and ampeg 8x10)

A markbass f500 and 1x12 acoustic thunderchild for my small setup. (thinking bout upgrading my markbass to a mesa walkabout or acoustic image clarus)
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'll be the odd man out then, using a Hevos (Dutch brand) 400B amp into a Compact Set
    speaker stack. This is not your SVT rock sound but rather a clean uncolored sound. The
    preamp has tubes, though not used for overdrive. It doesn't play super loud but sounds
    very nice and detailed with electric bass and particularily nice with upright.

As to the effects vs amp sound question, the Hevos gear certainly doesn't need the effects
    "as a crutch to compensate", the effects are there to color the sound in various ways.
    If there's a need for a crutch it's all because of me. :) In reality though my sound is the
    pedalboard + the preamp and DI in the 400B + the PA. The bass speakers mainly beef up
    the monitoring on stage, unless it's a small acoustic type gig in which case the bass amp
    can be used as the only bass amplification.

I bought this amp in December of 2002 and apart from my basses it's among the oldest of my
    current stuff, so I guess I like it as it's still around.
  11. HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    I have an Ampeg SVT 7 with a 410 hlf cab that I use at home and for big gigs and a Line 6 Combo amp I use for rehearsals and gets left at the drummers house. For the majority of gigs I might bring my head and pedalboard (and bass obviously). For a lot of my gigs your bass is going straight into the P.A and your amp is just there for a little more monitoring onstage. So there's no point in taking your full rig. This means that some always on pedals are pretty useful to stop yourself sounding awful.
  12. I use a GrooveTubes "The Brick" preamp through a power amp array of a few thousand watts to the FOH of a large church. I use pedals to shape and control my tone but not as a crutch for a weak amp (unless by "mediocre amp" you refer to the fact that The Brick has no built in effects).
  13. mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    I play through 700RB II and 412 GK NEO. I used to use a VT Bass as an always on, but since I like the tone of my amp, I went for something more transparent. Now I use Darkglass Vintage Microtubes as my always on light dirt/old school rock tone tool.
  14. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2011
    I used to use an Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp/DI to sweeten/fatten the tone I was getting through an SVT4 Pro/410 HLF Classic rig. Now that I've switched back to my trusty old Ashdown 210 combo I no longer need it and play effects free for the time being. However, if I ever get going on my solo thing and actually take it to the stage I'll probably use a compressor (Empress whenever I can find the money for one) all the time and possibly an IE Polytope.
  15. I use a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 paired with a 2x12" cabinet. Smooth highs, crisp mids and thunderous/tight lows. The only noteworthy effect I currently use is a Boss BF-3. I'm still searching for a nice overdrive pedal and maybe an octave and chorus pedal.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    GK 1001 RB and a 410 Neo. That is my main rig :) But when Im home I use my ampeg B50R. and a 400 watt yorkie bassmaster through a 210 yorkie cab with Fender Bassman 210's in it. I love my rigs :bassist:
  17. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I use a GB Streamliner 900 into an Avatar TB153 cab.
    I set the streamliner for a clean tube sound and then use my effects to alter the level/texture of overdrive.
    I do have an always on pedal that I used previously to warm up a somewhat sterile (to me) amp, but I still use it because I love that little extra bit it adds.
  18. Gk 800RB
    Hartke LH3500
    Peavey Mark IV all through an Ampeg 8x10 cab. I also use 2 nice basses.

All sound rad. I use a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail at all times because my band requires distorted bass.

I think the whole "effects as a crutch for a bad amp" thing is a stereotype. Its downright dumb.
  19. Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of cool **** in here.

Sorry to insult the overly sensitive with my "crutch" remark. Of course tone is in the ear of the beholder. I was only asking if you use effects to add to an already great sound, or use them to make up for what you feel is lacking in your sound. You can have this problem with any level of amp.... Usually due to poor technique. :D:bag: