Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Amp does flea from Chilli Peppers use

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Just wondering what setup this guy uses.

niggy

2. He uses Gallien Kreuger 800RB heads and Mesa Boogie cabs.

For effects.. snoop around and you will find pictures of it all.

Good Luck.

3. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    A 2x10 and a 2x15 to be exact.

4. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I like it that flea keeps it simple, at least from what I have seen.

I can go pick up a stingray, GK head, Mesa cab, and have the same sound. Lotsa guys have the $50000 odd name bass.

No idea about FX though.

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Last seen at Shorline Sept. 2001.

Three Mesa Boogie 2-15"s and two 2-10"s. Four GK heads, 32 18" PA Cabinets, two of five Modulus basses. Pedel board, Q-Tron and?

Sweet spot PA sound which IMO is old school. All in all a great show.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi Vic (or anybody else who knows),
    Please explain to me, what does 'sweet spot PA sound' mean?
    What are other concepts opposed to this?

Thanks,
    Matthias

7. I'm pretty sure that Flea uses the 2000RB's, not 800RB's.

8. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Check out the Gallien Krueger site
    The last time I checked it out Flea was using what appeared to be 4 2000RB heads as for cabs, I don't know.
    I wonder if Flea has had any trouble with his GK power heads failing on him...a great amp when it WORKS!

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Maybe that's why he uses 4 of them - 1 actually working and 3 back ups :D
    Matthias

10. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Unless something has changed I'm absolutely sure he uses the 800.

11. He may still use 800's in the studio, but live he has a rack with four 2000's.

12. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Nice - but only if you've got a fork lift truck or some well trained gorillas! (Not roadies, roadies are cool, I actually do mean gorillas).

Niggy

13. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Re Matthias

When a PA is set up with cabinets stacked in a flat configuration (none aray) at either end of a stage and the sound is monitered at the center or in between the speakers the middle third of the seating becomes the sweet spot. If your located on either side of the stage the mix becomes very unbalanced.

While this was accepted as the norm in the late sixties, Pink Floyd did their homework and opened the door to creative public address. Somthing as simple as an aray vs a flat stack could have created a more balanced sound at this out door venue. I don't know very much about sound reinforcment but I have heard much better. I feel the Chille's deserve better and the show goers deserve better.

The Pepper's show at the Shorline was great. To watch a Bass player lead and drive a band with the intensity and musicianship that Flea has was a total stoke.

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Vic, thanks for your reply!
    Matthias

15. This was his effects setup on the floor during the californication tour:

[​IMG]

From the left: Dunlop Bass wah, Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3, ????, Electro Harmonix Q-Tron

Regarding the four racked amps, I am pretty sure he has got one head for the as "head head" and two slaved (makes three, one for each cab) the fourth is a backup i am sure... read it somewhere. At some mag I found the scheme of how he had it all plugged in.. cant remember where though.. :(