Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp? for double bass, 6string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowdan, Feb 27, 2006.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    hi all.

after several years of absence from playing bass, i am about to re-enter the world of making music.

i have: g&l 4-string (effectively a music man copy), some taiwanese fretless, a neuser neck-through 6-string an acoustic double bass. the latter to are my main focus.

i used to have a GK 700RB/ Mesa 2x10 EV setup. i still have an SWR workingman 15 combo.

the SWR is very loud given its light weight. yet i find it to be too large to be carried around on public transport. an i find it to be inappropriate for amplifying my double bass.

i am looking for a combo amp that would do the following:
    -be lighter and smaller than the workingman
    -be a good or very good double bass amp for latin style music and jazz
    -be good enough for my 6-string for band rehearsals, jamming and small clubs gigs (i could buy some cheap extension cabinet if needed)
    -be not too expensive.

i would probably think about selling the SWR.

i have done some www search. how about these:

-hartke kickback 10, kickback 12
    -GK backline 10, 12 and MB150
    -SWR WM 12
    -SWR LA 12

your input is appreciated!

2. The GK mb150 is cool for upright, but I've never really liked it for electric personally. If I had to use the same amp for both I'd use euphonic audio gear for sure. I think there's an iamp350 combo for sale in the classifieds right now that might work for you, but you might need an extension for some gigs.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Hold out to try a Markbass

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    upright is most important. electric should be OK at least.

kickback 10 and WM 10 are the least pricey options for me. how about one of these with some cheap 115 cab for larger stages?

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    How about a pair of Acme Low B-1s with the iAmp? You could take just one for the upright gigs and two would do very nicely for electric Jazz/Latin stuff.

6. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I play double bass primarily but just got back into the slab again. For double bass, I now use an EA iAmp 500 with an EA VL-110 most of the time. For louder double bass shows I use my Acme B2L cabinet (4 ohm). The EA amp has a super clean preamp and works great with piezo pickups. Most "normal' bass amps only have a 50 Kohm input impedance and don't work too well with piezos.

This iAmp 500/Vl-110 combination isn't a "combo" but I would bet that it is lighter than most of the combos you mentioned.

I just played a show Saturday night with a fairly loud electric band. The iAmp 500 and the B2 was a powerful combination. Many compliments on the sound. Using a new SX '75 jazz bass with Labella flatwounds.

Touch