1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What amp for me ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cereal KiIIer, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Cereal KiIIer

Cereal KiIIer

Aug 28, 2007
    I wanna play some Guns n' Roses, Oasis, Queen. Don't need a lot of power. Around 200$.

Anyone?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    For $200 you wan't get much power or quality if you get anything new. Better to look at used Peavey in your area. You might find one of their combos in the 100 watt range that will do you for at home practice and maybe quiet rehearsing.

3. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Used Peavey is hard to beat for a cheap, reliable amp.

5. Cereal KiIIer

Cereal KiIIer

Aug 28, 2007
    What about the Crate BT25?

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    In all honesty, in your price bracket the issue is more or less "what can I get for this cheap" rather than "what is going to do what I want it too".

P.S: Welcome to TalkBass :)

8. Cereal KiIIer

Cereal KiIIer

Aug 28, 2007
    Ok, so how much do I need to spend to have something good?

I live in a dorm so I really don't need a lot of power and I won't play in a band or do gigs.

My 15w Marshall amp for my Les Paul gives me more than enough power.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, a cheap, used Peavey will suffice. There won't be a great tone coming from it, but it'll do the job for rock!

10. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, when you're just practicing in a dorm with no gigs or band rehearsing in sight (you sure?), then even $200 seems like a lot of money unless you are set on spending that much.

If a 15W SS guitar amp is more than enough for your guitar, just pick up a used (insert brand name here) practice bass amp. There will hardly be anything you can't use just to jam in your dorm. Heck, I've even used my own little 15W Crate guitar amp to jam on bass in my room. As long as I don't turn it up super loud to blow out the speaker, it provides enough sound to jam on bass.

If buying new is more your thing, stores got practice bass amps for $60-$70. Best of luck!