1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what amp is AJ using here ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldogNewTrick, Mar 1, 2008.

1. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    can anybody identify this amp/cab combo ?

vlcsnap-3392.

vlcsnap-6671.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think he's using the one that makes a lot of players go home with their tails tucked between their legs ; }

3. I think this is a Krell amp. , made here in Orange Ct. The cab. looks like an Epifani, probably a specially made for him 1x10. Dig those 10 stubby tone knobs on the bass....

4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    AJ's playing has this effect on a lot of bass players :p

Looked on the Krell web site, couldn't find anything like it.
    Maybe an older model, just power amp.
    Linear preamp from the Fodera, I'd guess.

brave... :eek:

5. No It is not something they offer. You need clout for these.

6. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    They're made by FM Acoustics. It's from the professional series.
    I've had the chance to spend some time with FM A. gear in the past & fell in love with the sound. The price (if you have to ask...) & weight are another matter. Must be nice to have cartage service all the time.
    He's been using these for a few years along with his rack full of API gear & a Distressor.
    The cab is probably one of his custom Epifani rigs. He's been known to use Stage Accompany cabs from time to time, too.

7. jkdahlman

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    From the FM Acoustics web site:

"...Your amplifier is nothing short of awesome in its ability to handle transients. There is no detectable sound of stress, no sense of thermal stress either; though the amp always runs warm, it does not get much warmer. I've owned many power amps and heard and played through many more, and as far as I'm concerned the search for the ultimate has stopped here.

There is nothing to compare to lifting the lid on a piece of equipment and realizing that it has been designed and constructed with no regard to cost. My standards regarding musicianship are as high as yours are regarding sound. Thanks for your most inspiring performance!."

Anthony Jackson, Electric Contrabass virtuoso, New York

8. Is there a WEB site for this manufacturer? Any you tube video of this guys playing? Thank you for the info.

9. jkdahlman

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
  10. Thank you John!

11. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    thanks ! :)
    we're getting closer ... still, haven't discovered a pic of the actual amp anywhere....

Hifi power amp with custom cab....

Just like my setup,
    of course with an proportionate reduction in level&price, consummate with my reduced skills in comparison to AJ....

:bag:

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The poweramp pictured here is a Krell FPB 450 mcx ( or something from a similar line) I think.
    The pre amp used on the calle54 session was an FM Acoustic, if I am not mistaken.
    it is VERY expensive.
    I spoke with FM Acoustics a couple of times and seem to remember a figure somewhere beyond the 10K.
    I think they call it M1.
    You won't find it on the website as it is only made to order, if I remember correctly.

13. Bingo!

I'll try to find the exact article but AJ has said this is what he used on this recording.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Would be nice if you'd post a link to the article :D

A less detailed description was given in a Bassplayer interview - the one with Bill Laswell on the cover, but I can't remember when that was exactly.
    There is an interview in a german magazine as well.
    From some time in 2006.
    I think the magazine is "Gitarre & Bass".

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah I remember researching about it when I first saw the Calle54 footage. It was indeed as you guys say. FM Acoustics to Krell 450-line power amp.

Unfortunately someone stole his FM Acoustics preamp so now he's using a two-channel Millennia Media HV-3B preamp with API EQ's and powered Meyer Sound speakers. More current amp info: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406566&page=4

16. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You gotta love Anthony Jackson. Always searches out the most expensive and esoteric gear on the planet, and acts bewildered why everyone else doesn't do it. Meanwhile, his most well-known recording was done on a Jazz Bass DI'd with an MXR Flanger ;)

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Or the current equipment is recorded in such a way that it might just as well be a jazz bass ...:D:bag:

Often however I find the tone to be quite excellent.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Calle 54 is quite a DVD! Be prepared.
    Fine bassists including Mark Johnson. AJ with Camillo and El Negro, one of the world's great drummers. AJ said he didn't like his DI'ed tone here.
    More percussion then we can deal with.:eek:
    Elaine Elias. That's all I'm sayin'!
    Incredible camera work and sound. Again, Elaine Elias! What a pianist!

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's Anthony with some other folks no slouches either. You can hear the tone.....

20. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    ...uhhh... you mean his FINGERS????? I don't see 10 of anything else in the pix.