What amp is Duff Mckagan using in GnR?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Apr 9, 2016.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I know all the history and gear (I have the same GK stuff) that Duff always used, than he switched to fender. I'm really wondering if he is still using fender in GnR now or went back to GK? Anyone go to the shows or see pictures?
    I saw a vid of welcome to the Jungle from last night, had the GK sound. I don't know if the fender can cop that GK grind.

2. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I believe I spotted a Fender 8x10 alongside some GK cabinets on footage from the Las Vegas show. Not sure about the amps though.

wolfkeller likes this.
  3. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Duff posted this on his Facebook. Apparently, he is using a Fender Bassman along with a new GK MB 800. And I also see an Ibanez CS-9 chorus, which was also used on Appetite for destruction.

Attached Files:

4. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Saw that! Where did you get that he used an ibanez chorus for Appetite? He used the Yamaha spx 90 on the tour.

5. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    For the Illusion tour yes. I doubt he already owned it on the Appetite tour, if it even existed back in '87/'88.
    You can see the pedal in Marc Canter's book "Reckless road" on pages 296 and 326, and those gigs were right around or after the recording of
    Appetite for Destruction, so it's most likely what we hear on "Sweet child O' mine".

It's even stranger that he doesn't use the TC Electronic corona chorus with his toneprint.

This is from Richard Fortus' facebook, Fender and GK cabinets, all the Supro and Voodoo stuff is Richard's.

Attached Files:

6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Looks like 2 full rigs

7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I just posted a thread similiar to this one not knowing about this thread. I basically asked the same thing cause for one reason I noticed that his tone is somewhat different.its still a duff tone but you can tell it's somewhat different. So then I saw in a picture and video of the current lifetime tour,not only a GK setup but next to it was a Fender super bassman pro rig. At 1st I thought maybe it was something to do with Richard Fortus. After research and asking TB and finding out on google I found out that he went to Namm a few years back in search for new bass amp rig gear. The reason being that the GK was what he said " to inconsistent." Being on tour paying every night the venue sizes changed from big stadiums to clubs and his tone wasn't staying the same. He would have to use carpets or set up in different ways. The GK rig was only consistent in large venues and it was a pain in the ass basically. He went to Namm and stopped at Fender first and as soon as he plugged into the bassman he was blown away. Personally I loved his tone on the illusions tour. That's my favorite tone of his, but he stopped using that GK gear in the early 2000s. I would like to know which songs he's using the fender rig on and which songs the GK. Is he using the fender on the chinease stuff only or the songs the he plays with his fingers, and using the GK on all AFD and illusions. I would like to know. But if you listen to civil war from the lifetime tour it ain't GK

8. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I think he uses both at the same time. I don't really like his current tone, it's to clickey in the treble.
    His sound was always bright, but in a good way. I guess a lot had to do with the fact that what we
    heard back in the 90's was a mic'ed 15" speaker with a lot of treble rolloff that made it sound nicer.
    Maybe now we hear the full spectrum, and this is just what Duff always heard himself.

jvalenzh likes this.
  9. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    He's not using both at the same time. Doesn't work that way. I believe from what I've read, that the GK rig is used on most of the AFD. The fender is his main setup for everything else

10. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    Can you recall where you've read that?

11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I'll look for it. Been a while

Bass Growler likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022