Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What amp is this?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. They used to make a version of the Ampeg B15 called the Tusc DF 55 Porta-Bass amp that was advertised in Guitar Player in May 1983.

3. Pretty lousy description and the pictures are useless. Not many tubes though, so I doubt it's high power.

edited (again): Looks like ampegsvt has the goods on this!! It didn't occur to me to look in the Ampeg book. page 272 It's not made by Ampeg though.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably a dumb, ignorant question:

Why is it in the Ampeg book? Was "Tusc" affiliated with Ampeg at some point? Or is it that it just looked like one that reminded you of page 272?

-T

5. I think that it was in there because they made a copy of the B15.

6. exact quote from page 272:

"The Tusc DF 55 porta-bass amp was advertised in Guitar Player in May 1983. Ampeg was not making a Portaflex amp, and the patent had run out, so Craig Frye, of Central Islip, Long Island, set out to make what were at heart B-15's, even enlisting the help of Jess Oliver. Guitar Player reported on the DF55: "Designed for use with bass guitars and keyboard instruments the DF 55 Portabass amp from TUSC Amplification has a head that stores in its speaker cabinet"...."

Another sentence or two describes this particular model a little more. Note the amp on Ebay is NOT a Portaflex unit, maybe a head version of their "DF55", who knows? If the Ebay seller had listed the tube complement or shown better pictures it would be helpful.

That's all the book said about Tusc Amplification. It's in a chapter on companies that were offshoots or derivatives or copies or ripoffs (you choose the description) of Ampegs. Some derivatives were very good, others of dubious quality.